Can blossfeldia liliputana hybridize with any Gymno?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keithp2012

Can blossfeldia liliputana hybridize with any Gymno?

Post by keithp2012 »

Just wondering if I pollinated a flowering blossfeldia liliputana with gymno pollen if they can hybridize?
esp_imaging

Re: Can blossfeldia liliputana hybridize with any Gymno?

Post by esp_imaging »

Blossfeldia is considered to be a bit of an unusual genus, not related closely to any other cacti, so Blossfeldia - Gymno hybrids may be bit unlikely. You can always try!
Bear in mind that Blossfeldia is self fertile, so any fruits may just be from self pollination. Most Gymnos aren't self fertile, so if you can get them to set fruit you may be on to a winner.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

esp_imaging wrote:Blossfeldia is considered to be a bit of an unusual genus, not related closely to any other cacti, so Blossfeldia - Gymno hybrids may be bit unlikely. You can always try!
Bear in mind that Blossfeldia is self fertile, so any fruits may just be from self pollination. Most Gymnos aren't self fertile, so if you can get them to set fruit you may be on to a winner.
I've had no trouble cross pollinating Gymnos to get seed, what I could do is rub pollen from blossfeldia onto a gymno, if it sets seed I know for sure the cross worked.
7george

Post by 7george »

Sometimes alien pollen could induce self-pollinating, so if you get some seeds these will be pure Gymnocalycium' ones.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8