Biggest indoor cactus?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Ned_Fellenor

Biggest indoor cactus?

Post by Ned_Fellenor »

I own an opuntia microdasys and its significantly larger than my other cacti and succulents. What is the largest indoor cactus you have?
Picture below, thanks.
Attachments
13817021_863179703813843_1210198851_n.jpg
13817021_863179703813843_1210198851_n.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 4663 times
7george

Re: Biggest indoor cactus?

Post by 7george »

I am really cautious about how big my cacti could grow and most are small. This is my biggest: O. trollii, outside for the summer, but is kept inside ~ 7 months a year.
Oreocereus_0501re.JPG
Oreocereus_0501re.JPG (34.63 KiB) Viewed 4531 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Ned_Fellenor

Post by Ned_Fellenor »

I am no professional, and haven't seen absolutely loads of people's cacti, but that one is still pretty impressive! Thank's for sharing Cheers.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

By indoors I assume you mean your home, not a greenhouse?
Ned_Fellenor

Post by Ned_Fellenor »

Preferably yes, but don't let that stop you from posting any greenhouse cacti you've got! Thanks.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

I just love this guy so much, I like to share his pix. A rescued ( from a florist ) saguaro named Al who is 5 ft 3" tall.
Attachments
1-100_0773.JPG
1-100_0773.JPG (54.9 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
Ned_Fellenor

Post by Ned_Fellenor »

I really want a Saguaro! How amazing to have one in your greenhouse, that's so cool thanks for sharing! Soon it'll be needed a bigger home however! :D
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

A bigger home will be for his next caretaker to worry about. They only grow a quarter to a half inch per year & I'm 67. I'm always teasing the young guys in our cactus club to have children who will come get him when I turn to compost. Sue
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Ned_Fellenor wrote:I really want a Saguaro! How amazing to have one in your greenhouse, that's so cool thanks for sharing! Soon it'll be needed a bigger home however! :D
Saguaros are neat. I have a bunch of them.
8)
Ned_Fellenor

Post by Ned_Fellenor »

Oldcat61 that's interesting, I didn't realize they grow at that slow of a rate. The closest I can come to owning one is adopting one in California!

Toadstar, how long has it taken for them to sprout assuming you planted them from seed?

Thank's guys for showing some interest in this thread :D
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Funny that I just posted this last night in this Forum. I have a Cereus peruvianus/C. hildmanninus uruguayanus that is 5' 1" (about 1.54m) tall. And less than a week ago I discovered two flower buds on the shady side of it. It summers outside (don't we all?!) and winters on a glassed-in porch with lots of light with temps in the 60s.
DSC06516.JPG
DSC06516.JPG (67.45 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
DSC06517.JPG
DSC06517.JPG (40.54 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Ned_Fellenor wrote: Toadstar, how long has it taken for them to sprout assuming you planted them from seed?
The seeds were pretty quick to sprout. Most of them did so within a week. The seedlings in that pic were about a month and a half old when it was taken. They're a little bit bigger now.
Cactusstore.com was where I got them from.

As far the biggest cactus I have is a two foot tall Stetsonia coryne. Most of the others of mine are pretty small because I've started them from seed only a couple years ago.
Ned_Fellenor

Post by Ned_Fellenor »

fanaticactus, That's a nice Cereus it looks healthy! I am looking forward to hopefully owning a cactus that will grow to a height beyond my own! :lol:

Toadstar, I am actually quite surprised how young they are I would've guessed they'd take longer than that? I have quite a few buds from my tentacle-like indoor cactus (I am yet to actually discover their proper name, I know i'm terrible) and they took ages to root themselves and get growing after I picked them off the parent cactus; about 3 months! I was even using cactus feed on them. At least they've taken now.
7george

Post by 7george »

You guys keep real giants indoors. But nice specimens for sure.

A slight update with my biggest indoor cactus: these days this appear to be this Opuntia ficus-indica (i beleve) - 27 cm high.

My seedlings. In a glazed pot with 25 holes. Will be moved inside till the end of this month. These do not tolerate colds below -5C or so.
Hail scars are seen on some of them: the price of enjoying the summer outdoors.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Ned_Fellenor

Post by Ned_Fellenor »

7george, I'm quite surprised by how prominent this cacti's spines are! Personally I think it makes it stand out from other cacti i've seen. Awesome that you shared it :) Hopefully it'll keep growing well.