Rooting Tephrocactus Geometricus cuttings?...

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Pushrestart

Rooting Tephrocactus Geometricus cuttings?...

Post by Pushrestart »

I'm a novice when it comes to rooting these cuttings and would appreciate some insight.
Do they require deep pots initially or later in development? Is it best to place them in wet/moist substrate or dry? What kind of light can they tolerate whilst growing their roots ?

Would appreciate all cultural info as Im hitting walls online.
Thanks!
mdpillet

Re: Rooting Tephrocactus Geometricus cuttings?...

Post by mdpillet »

Root them using the generic requirements of cactus cuttings. If they don't root after a few months, lay them on the substrate on their side and try again.
iann

Post by iann »

Tephrocactus cuttings root fairly easily in warm conditions. The roots are produced most easily from the areoles rather than the scar at the bottom of the segment, so either bury the lower areoles or lay them on their sides. Personally I don't like the plants from side-rooted segments, so I bury them about halfway in cat litter. Usually I just leave pads that drop in late summer and they are well-rooted by the following summer.

Tephrocactus develop quite deep thickened roots when grown from seed, but rooted segments develop an extensive fibrous root system without a taproot. They don't need unusually deep pots, although obviously in time they can become quite substantial plants.

Light isn't too important. However, strong direct sun might stress a segment with no roots. The dropped segments are pretty substantial and I haven't had problems, but they don't usually drop until August and they are rooted before the sun gets too strong the next year. They will often grow new segments in spring, so make sure they have enough sun not to etiolate.

No need to water them until they have roots, but they won't instantly rot. Obviously leave them completely dry if it is cold. I leave them alone in my porch right through winter, even if they have roots they don't need water then.
--ian
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Saving all of this info, exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!