Stealth flowers

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

Stealth flowers

Post by iann »

Epithelantha bokei
bokei-0722.jpg
bokei-0722.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
--ian
Pushrestart

Re: Stealth flowers

Post by Pushrestart »

Such a timeless beauty, thank you for sharing! :mrgreen:
Any key epithelantha cultural notes you can share?
iann

Post by iann »

Pushrestart wrote:Such a timeless beauty, thank you for sharing! :mrgreen:
Any key epithelantha cultural notes you can share?
Some people seem to find them difficult, but I suspect they are pampering them too much. They seem tough to me, full sun and water when I feel like it. E. bokei in particular doesn't grow fast, but that's just the way it is. Don't overpot. They don't have taproots and they can grow a fairly extensive network of fine roots, but that doesn't mean they need a huge pot. I've never had them scorch, but I suppose it is possible if you fatten them up enough for the sun to get past the spines. I've seen mites on them, but it doesn't seem to become a problem. Maybe they're just passing through to tastier plants!
--ian
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

I wish my E. bokei looked that nice. I tried to grow them a couple times and failed. Finally got one that was more tolerant of my mistakes, I guess. Except then I had a cat that liked to nibble on it and more recently a wild rodent sampled it. You've even prevented the spines from becoming stained.
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

that's a lovely plant, I had a pot of seedlings of these that were approaching 18 months old when a darn slug ate the lot one night earlier this year :(
They ignored everything else and just had these.
iann

Post by iann »

cactidan wrote:that's a lovely plant, I had a pot of seedlings of these that were approaching 18 months old when a darn slug ate the lot one night earlier this year :(
They ignored everything else and just had these.
Slugs have impeccable taste. I once had one (probably a snail) crawl all over my seedling shelf and eat only Copiapoa solaris.
--ian
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

After that event all the trays and surrounding floor got a liberal sprinkle of pellets, next day there was many dried up slugs and yes snails too! grim but satisfying.