Recommend a cactus per genera

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
absolute0

Recommend a cactus per genera

Post by absolute0 »

If you could only keep a single cactus per genera which would you pick?
7george

Re: Recommend a cactus per genera

Post by 7george »

I wish I could keep 1 cactus of each genera. There are 125 genera or so, looks possible, my pot count is ~200 now.
I would keep all small cacti plus maybe some young columnar cacti.

Anyway, that choice would be dramatically difficult. We should be forced to trash lot of favourite Mammillaria, Gymnocalycium, Turbinicarpus, Rebutia, etc.
Where is that? Prison rules? :idea:
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

It's pretty easy to choose from within the Carnegiea genus. There's only one!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

An old member of our national society, long dead, used to try and grow at least one cactus species from each genus. His favourite classification was Backeberg's Die Cactaceae since Backeberg was a "splitter", therefore he had more genera to collect. He was most upset when later "lumping" classifications got rid of a lot of his monotypic genera :lol: .

You have to decide when choosing a classification whether you use a "Splitters" or "Lumpers" classification, since many monotypic genera disappear in the latter case. Also with all classifications picking one species from each genus would be too long a list to include here, plus most collectors are unfamiliar with the species in many genera anyway.

If you want a recommendation you would be best selecting a single genus, since the Cactaceae as a whole is too large to list.
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

It doesn't have to be all genera since that would be too long. Perhaps the more popular ones (or at least those genera where a lot of its species' encouterability accdg to cactiguide are from common worldwide to unusual in collections). >_<

As for the lumps and splits, it's up to you? (It seems a lot of ppl didn't like the move of Notocactus being lumped into Parodia)

This topic came into my mind because there are so many cacti species so given a limited resource which ones would be worth keeping. For instance Mammillaria has a lot of species under it but some look unexceptional and sone look similar to the others :)
iann

Post by iann »

I like Ortegocactus macdougalii
--ian