A hint of summer

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

A hint of summer

Post by iann »

Hints of summer is all I'm getting this year, but even a few sunny breaks between the showers can bring out the flowers. Here is Mammillaria guelzowiana.
guelzowiana-0710.jpg
guelzowiana-0710.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
--ian
iann

Re: A hint of summer

Post by iann »

Amazing how every Mammillaria baumii plant knows to flower on the same day. They get more or less the same conditions and more or less the same water, but still impressive timing. Scented too :)
baumii-0710a.jpg
baumii-0710a.jpg (80.66 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
baumii-0710b.jpg
baumii-0710b.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
--ian
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Ian beautiful blooms !! Really enjoy the fluff of the guelzowiana, is it soft enough to touch without impaling oneself?
You're not the first person I've spoken to with complaints about the summer or lack thereof in the UK. Hopefully warmer and sunnier days are on the horizon for all of you :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

Pushrestart wrote:Ian beautiful blooms !! Really enjoy the fluff of the guelzowiana, is it soft enough to touch without impaling oneself?
You're not the first person I've spoken to with complaints about the summer or lack thereof in the UK. Hopefully warmer and sunnier days are on the horizon for all of you :mrgreen:
M. guelzowiana is lethal. It looks soft and fluffy, but it harbours needle-sharp hooked spines. They will grab you and not let go. You can just about see them in the photo.
--ian
iann

Post by iann »

Watch you don't get hooked ...
guelzowiana-0722.jpg
guelzowiana-0722.jpg (88.27 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
--ian
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Ooooh, fuzzy.
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Wow you were not kidding it IS deadly, you could barely see the hooked spines from the enormous flowers.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Nice flowers! Two of my favorite Mamms--because the flowers are BIG and colorful.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
MartP

Post by MartP »

I got hooked on a guelzowiana once and never again - I tried to push into it with my finger, but then I tried to pull it back and I got hooked by atleast 4 hooks. Then I tried to free myself with a finger from my other hand, but I got stuck with that finger, too. Too afraid and unable to do anything in fear of pain, I was waiting there for five minutes until help arrived.