Rare double flowers!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Rare double flowers!

Post by Steve Johnson »

This Astrophytum capricorne is part of the group that started my current collection in June 2011 -- flowering well since 2012, but singletons up until now:

No wonder I call it my "Queen of the Astrophytums". Long live the Queen! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Re: Rare double flowers!

Post by DaveW »

Nice Steve, you will probably get more than one flower at a time now the plant is larger. However they are only really single flowers. Now this is a double flower with two styles and stigma's! :lol:
double.jpg
double.jpg (108.23 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
You do get freak double flowers occasionally when two separate ones fuse into each other when the bud is forming. Sometimes happens on cristate or monstrose plants, but this plant is normal and all other flowers since have been normal.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Nice plant! Ariocarpus will often produce multiple flowers at the same time. Keep them watered and in the sun!

I don't have this plant anymore, but it was a very nice one. I couldn't find the picture of a plant I had that put out 13 flowers at once.

Cheers!
Attachments
A myriostigma.jpg
A myriostigma.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

DaveW wrote:You do get freak double flowers occasionally when two separate ones fuse into each other when the bud is forming. Sometimes happens on cristate or monstrose plants, but this plant is normal and all other flowers since have been normal.
Great photo, Dave! The flowers on my A. capricorne should be more accurately described as a "twofer", so we'll go with that.
DaveW wrote:Nice Steve, you will probably get more than one flower at a time now the plant is larger.
My Astrophytum myriostigma quadricostatum is another 2011 "veteran", and about half of its flower production has been twofers since 2014. Here's the latest round in progress:

You could be on to something, and if you're correct about age being a factor, then I think we'll be seeing more twofers in the capricorne's future.
TimN wrote:I don't have this plant anymore, but it was a very nice one.
Thanks for posting that excellent pic. By the way, it's great to see you back on the forum!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I love all these photos! I have to appreciate Astros vicariously. I've killed at least a half dozen of them, so I don't get them anymore.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!