Columnar loph?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
sadhbh-rua

Columnar loph?

Post by sadhbh-rua »

I've uploaded a picture of the lophophora williamsii v. caespitosa in question and it's "sibling" that I got at the same time a few years back. When I got them they looked essentially identical but gradually I've noticed one seems to just continue to grow vertically without gaining any width and refuses to stay flat like the other.
The same thing seems to be happening to all the offsets on the same plant too. It doesn't appear to me to be etoliation as the plants colour is still uniform and is maintaining the same width despite the height increase?

I'll continue to keep an eye on it this growing season as its only just waking up, but is this a common occurrence? It seems a bit strange to me and I'm not sure if it will just continue to grow taller or eventually return to normal
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.26 KiB) Viewed 660 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.68 KiB) Viewed 660 times
adetheproducer

Re: Columnar loph?

Post by adetheproducer »

I have seen a few clones which show this columnar growth variation so seems quite normal. I always assumed it was down to living in rich soil with plenty of water but could just be a genetic variation as well. If you take a look at this link there is a similar looking plant towards the bottom of the page.
http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/LOPHOP ... pitosa.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
sadhbh-rua

Re: Columnar loph?

Post by sadhbh-rua »

Thank you for the link it does resemble the one you mentioned:)
I'll be looking forward to seeing if it continues to get weirder
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (30.2 KiB) Viewed 616 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 616 times