April in northern Vermont

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

April in northern Vermont

Post by fanaticactus »

I guess I can't continue the 'middle of winter' thread, so here is the current status of things in this strange month of temperature extremes. Today was officially 72 here, but in the sun by the greenhouse it reached 81. I cleaned and arranged the GH for the coming season both yesterday and today. Most of the big work is done. The Mamms that began blooming in March are still going, buds are growing on two Echinopsis/Trichopsis grandiflorus hybrids and on a Parodia erubescens as well as a Thelocactus bicolor. Today the R. muscula was looking quite good and the first flower on an A. uncinatus ssp uncinatus began to open, slightly impeded by the long spines.
DSC06125.JPG
DSC06125.JPG (98.58 KiB) Viewed 792 times
DSC06126.JPG
DSC06126.JPG (77.02 KiB) Viewed 792 times
In the garden I was shocked my first-year Pediocactus simpsonii is showing a ring of buds. We had a horrible winter--not so much cold this year, but a lot of sleet and cold rain. There was not enough snow to bury (and insulate) the cacti, so I lost several of the new ones, but the Pedio came through nicely, it seems.
DSC06124.JPG
DSC06124.JPG (125.14 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
iann

Re: April in northern Vermont

Post by iann »

Hardly any cold at all this winter. I was surprised my Pediocactus even flowered.
--ian
Astro

Post by Astro »

The Rebutias and Sulcos definitely bring some color to the collection around this time of the year. Even my wife likes them right now :)

However that Rebutia doesn't look much like a muscula. Maybe you meant R. minuscula?
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Astro wrote: However that Rebutia doesn't look much like a muscula. Maybe you meant R. minuscula?
That very well could be. I've been checking over my IDs and saw that the general description didn't quite match mine. I'll have to look at minuscula and a couple of others. What often confuses me is that some species appear to have been cross-bred--i.e. the flower color doesn't always match the rest of the description, whether in words or by photos.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!