Air pruning and Hydroponic Net Pots

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Ivan C

Air pruning and Hydroponic Net Pots

Post by Ivan C »

I am about to start using small 2" and 3" air pots to start seeds and grow my plants. I came across this by browsing and it has highly sparked my interest. This is the concept and where my starting point began.

http://air-pot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically it will stop roots from circling around the pot and by "air pruning" it will promote a much larger and healthier root ball. I also think it will help to prevent over-watering.

Has anyone heard of this and has anyone tried this?

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Slit-Pots-Hy ... den&sr=1-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adetheproducer

Re: Air pruning and Hydroponic Net Pots

Post by adetheproducer »

Interesting concept should improve drying times heavier with soils. Not sure if it would be as advantageous for seeds as usually you want to keep the moisture in but for adult plants I can see the benefits. Definitely worth some experimentation though shows us you results.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

I don't imagine I will see results real soon. But I will give it a go.
kristian_Fossmo

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

It is always fun to try out new stuff :) . But bare in mind the differens in growth rate between C3 and CAM plants. The root development over six months between any cacti and a tomato plant is enormous. Some species of cacti also have the adaptation of programed root death when the water getting scarce, so my hypothesis on this one is that the benefits regarding root development will be small, but the drying out time will decrease, so in theory you could use bigger containers with more room for the roots to grow freely thus enable more water/nutrient uptake at any given moment. And that maybe will speed up the development of the seedlings.
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I commented on Ivan's post here:-

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=164376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would only usually use similar pots for epiphytes which require Orchid type cultivation.
fannie

Post by fannie »

I think for air pot ,I can show you the very good air pot I found, it's with the root guide slots and with air pruning hole. And now nearly all my cacti and succulent ,I used all these kind of pot. It's have square root control air pot, double wall root control air pot, and orchid air pruning air pot. I will shown you ,to have a look,I have planted for two years,the root really not circling...
Attachments
QQ图片20160419150925.jpg
QQ图片20160419150925.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
QQ图片20160419151653.png
QQ图片20160419151653.png (342.3 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
QQ截图20160419152257.jpg
QQ截图20160419152257.jpg (65.39 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
fannie

Post by fannie »

two more
Attachments