Arrojadoa 2016

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
george76904

Re: Arrojadoa 2016

Post by george76904 »

Well they are simply stunning! I think I may need to add a few to my collection. Although I have just acquired a fair number of plants so I may hold off on purchasing them in the next couple months. Although I may try growing them from seed. Do you remember off hand approximately how long it took from seed to maturity?
jp29

Post by jp29 »

george76904 wrote:Well they are simply stunning! I think I may need to add a few to my collection. Although I have just acquired a fair number of plants so I may hold off on purchasing them in the next couple months. Although I may try growing them from seed. Do you remember off hand approximately how long it took from seed to maturity?
I would like to send you some cuttings, Will (my plants and seeds are always free) but that is a problem for me -- making it to the post office (and packaging the plants) is a monumental task for me these days. I would like to find a solution because I would like to encourage other serious enthusiasts to grow Arrojadoa. I could send you seeds (actually fruit) in envelopes that I could mail from home -- I will have to think more about that. I cannot remember how long it took to produce flowering sized plants from seed.

Cultivating small growing Brazilian Cacti

James
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
george76904

Post by george76904 »

jp29 wrote:
george76904 wrote:Well they are simply stunning! I think I may need to add a few to my collection. Although I have just acquired a fair number of plants so I may hold off on purchasing them in the next couple months. Although I may try growing them from seed. Do you remember off hand approximately how long it took from seed to maturity?
I would like to send you some cuttings, Will (my plants and seeds are always free) but that is a problem for me -- making it to the post office (and packaging the plants) is a monumental task for me these days. I would like to find a solution because I would like to encourage other serious enthusiasts to grow Arrojadoa. I could send you seeds (actually fruit) in envelopes that I could mail from home -- I will have to think more about that. I cannot remember how long it took to produce flowering sized plants from seed.

James
James if you would be willing to do that that would be amazing! But if it is too much trouble I totally understand.
Thank you,
Will
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

James, I have family in Tucson and visit there several times a year. If you had a fruit or two (or maybe even a spare cutting), I could stop by to pick up (and save you the trip to the post office). Would you be interested in a trade? I don't think I've seen Arrojadoa in person.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

george76904 wrote:
jp29 wrote:

James
James if you would be willing to do that that would be amazing! But if it is too much trouble I totally understand.
Thank you,
Will
Well I am willing to give seed mailing a try if you are, Will. The following is for general information:

My motivation in giving seed from my cacti to members of this Forum is so that these seldom encountered small growing Brazilian species that I love will be perpetuated in cultivation by fellow enthusiasts who have shown an interest in them via Forum postings. I do not want to give them to individuals who just
want some "freebie" seeds.

The only seeds I have available are from the cacti I depict on my Cultivating small growing Brazilian Cacti web page

I will only mail seeds to United States addresses.

I am now pretty much disabled so everything has to be simple and hassle-free (for me -- sorry).

Please send me a PM asking if the seed you would like is available. If so, mail me a self addressed, stamped envelope (regular US surface mail stamp) to the address enclosed with my PM reply. I will enclose the encapsulated seed or fruit in that envelope and mail it. In the case of fruit, recipients will have to do
their own seed extraction and preparation.

I use standard US coin cardboard flips with plastic windows to package the seeds ..........

to prevent the seed being crushed by Post Office machinery. I position the seed in the flip window, fold the flip, then staple and label it as shown ..........

I slip the packet into the self addressed envelope and mail it.

Please check my web page to see how the plants from which the seed was obtained have been cultivated by me.

...................................................................................................................................................................................
So if you are still interested, Will, please send me a PM.
...................................................................................................................................................................................

James
Last edited by jp29 on Wed May 04, 2016 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Vipassana wrote:James, I have family in Tucson and visit there several times a year. If you had a fruit or two (or maybe even a spare cutting), I could stop by to pick up (and save you the trip to the post office). Would you be interested in a trade? I don't think I've seen Arrojadoa in person.
Thank you for your response, Vipassana. No trades -- I have disposed of most of my (especially mature) plants -- I now have more than I can ever care for. What you propose is certainly "do-able". Please read my latest reply to Will, then send me a PM.

James
James
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

jp29 wrote:these seldom encountered small growing Brazilian species
James, how tall do your Arrojadoa get? I was looking at seeds on cactusstore.com and the description said they get close to 6' tall. Is that correct?
jp29

Post by jp29 »

graffiti wrote: ............... how tall do your Arrojadoa get?...............
It depends on many factors: the species being grown; whether planted in the ground or grown in containers; type and size of containers; prevailing climate
(I have grown A. penicillata & A. rhodantha in the high Mojave desert of California -- and then both those species and most of the other species in the southern Sonoran desert of Arizona); in greenhouses - outdoors and indoors (including windowsills); soil mix; watering frequency; fertilization .......... and so on. In a general way, A. rhodantha that I have grown outdoors with unrestricted root run and under the most favorable conditions have attained heights up to approx. 8ft tall (much branched and semi-erect). A. penicillata grown under the same conditions up to 5ft. tall (much branched and sprawling). I have grown the great majority of Arrojadoa species (except A. rhodantha which gets too "bulky") in small containers (check my web page) controlling the height by taking stem tip cuttings which I then root and grow on -- you can also observe that on my web page.
............... I was looking at seeds on cactusstore.com and the description said they get close to 6' tall. Is that correct?
What species? Again, it would depend on the factors I list above.

James
James
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

I was looking at A. aureispina, A. penicillata, and A. reflexa. Those were the ones with descriptions, all said 6' to 6.5'.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

graffiti wrote:I was looking at A. aureispina, A. penicillata, and A. reflexa. Those were the ones with descriptions, all said 6' to 6.5'.
Arrojadoa penicillata is an accepted name. The other two are derivative synonyms for Arrojadoa rhodantha

Go to: http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/sear ... +rhodantha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James
James
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

As James points out, Arrojadoa - despite the stats of over 6 ft tall - blooms well before they reach that height!
I have several species in-ground that bloom repeatedly (rhodantha/aureispina, penicillata, dinae, multiflora), and none is over 3 ft tall (I did have a 4 ft A. penicillata that croaked several years back) - most are under 2 ft tall.

Of course, A. marylanae may be the exception...I only have a seedling of that species (3"), and I know it is one of the largest of all (sometimes even placed in its own genus, Arrojadoopsis) and have never seen any data on how tall they get before they bloom for the first time.

I definitely recommend Arrojadoa for anyone - it's a great genus!
Last edited by Minime8484 on Thu May 05, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Our first 100°F (38°C) day of the year here in Tucson. Actually +/- 100°F (38°C) because we have several microclimates in the Tucson area.
My Brazilian cacti growing in small plastic pots are still reveling in the full sun.

James
James
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

Interesting, another plant to add to my "in the future" list. Thanks for the info folks.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Finally stopped producing flowers and fruit -- today.

James
James