Large tray garden - thoughts.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cshepard

Large tray garden - thoughts.

Post by cshepard »

I want to build a diorama type display for cacti and succulents and would like some advise. I am using a 35"x20" glass tray with a drainage hole. It will have a raised grid on the bottom covered in screening. There will be different layers - some areas will be 2" deep, some 4" and some 6-8".
Now, I know that ideally each species should be in it's own approriate sized pot, but I would like some of them to spread on their own and the general look to be of a 'scene'.
So, I can cutomize the substrate to have little to no organics and to drain fast, fill the areas of the tray with it and plant directly into this - or I can keep the plants potted and bury the pots, or do a combination of the two.

Here is my plant list - comments on which method would suit the various species, please, or any other thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Aloinopsis achnoonesi
Astrophytum asterias 'Super Kabuto'
Astrophytum asterias
Dueterocohnia brevifolia
Euphorbia forma caespitosa
Euphorbia colliculina
Euphorbia enopla
Euphorbia pentagona
Haworthia cooperi var. truncata
Haworthia cymbiformis var. obtusa
Haworthia 'Hayashi'
Haworthia ryderiana
Haworthia 'Sizunami'
Lithops dorotheae
Lithops fulviceps 'aurea'
Mammilaria magnimamma
Nananthus vittatus x Aloinopsis spathulata
Neochilenia occulata
Pleiospilos bolusii
Pleiospilos nelii 'Royal Flush'
Titanopsis calcarea
DaveW

Re: Large tray garden - thoughts.

Post by DaveW »

Ideally if you are combining all plants in a single container they should all require similar cultural conditions, even if you are sinking individual pots in a common medium. If you are growing in separate containers or pots on the staging you can give individual plants different frequency of watering etc, something not possible if all are plunged together. Appropriate sized pots does not matter in this case as you are in effect growing them as they would be growing in "open ground" since the roots would come out of the pots drainage holes anyway into the medium they are plunged in.
cshepard

Post by cshepard »

There is plenty of space to separate individual plants with rocks in between, different levels, etc. and I can group them however I need. I will study up on the requirements for the species on my list - different areas can be watered or fed on varying schedules ...

My concerns would be how much of the surrounding substrate would remain wet for how long with a deep watering or can the substrate be structured so the water essentially goes right through and straight down wherever I am pouring it.
Suggested substrate recipes for this application?

Plus, how important it might be for some species to feel "root bound" - are there any on my list that stand out as preferring this state?
7george

Post by 7george »

Better keep your plants in their own pots with some gravel or other dressing media between them. This will help for inspecting the roots, applying some treatment, changing the positions within the tray or distribute them away if you decide at some point that the coexistence was not very good idea. Also will be a challenge to match and manage diverse requirements for light, water, soil structure and volume, fertilizing, seasonal rhythms: these plants come from different ecosystems. But you can always make a try, even these are your only plants, don't hesitate. And show us what happened after some time passed. 8)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
lamonsta

Post by lamonsta »

Go for it! To those who say failure is for sure, I say in failure is a sure lesson. What will work will be something to be proud of and what does not, well, consider it valuable experience.
cshepard

Post by cshepard »

Thanks, lamonsta and 7george. I think I will do some buried pots, and some planted direct. There will be lots of rocks, forming planting "pockets" as well. My substrate will be on the order of Oil Dry, #2 granite grit and a small % of fir bark, maybe some pearlite as well. With good drainage I think I will be able to customize watering fairly well.

The whole setup will be on a rolling cart which is moved outside in the warmer, sunnier weather. Any plant not thriving can easily be taken out and put in a separate pot outside of the diorama, with the rest of my collection.

I've started the build - I'll create a new thread for it. I hope you guys will follow and comment on it as I progress - it will be called the "Black Rock Frondoso". I'll explain why in the other thread : )