Cactarium?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Brunãozinho

Cactarium?

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hi there dear friends,

sadly I haven't been able to visit the forum so often lately, but I'd like to ask something.

I'm helping a friend who is writing an article about domestic and international cactus trade and this question came to mind.
Here in Brazil we use the word cactário for a place where cacti are cultivated, but it's generally used for cacti places either with commercial purposes or not.
Botanical gardens have their cactários and some nurseries use the word in their names too.

I have asked myself it there was an equivalent term in English, then I found results fot the word "cactarium" on a google search, but I haven't read or heard this word in English very often.

Is this word actually used or is the term "cactus nursery" more suitable?
I wonder if "cactus nursery" is more related to sale purposes only...
Bruno
esp_imaging

Re: Cactarium?

Post by esp_imaging »

I don't think we really have a single word or commonly used phrase.
Cactus nursery implies propagation of young plants, not necessarily (but quite likely) for commercial purposes.
So maybe cactus collection would be the closest to an area where a range of cacti are grown. Or maybe cactus garden, cactus house, cactus enclosure etc, depending exactly what the space is like.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti