Care for year old seedlings during winter?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keithp2012

Care for year old seedlings during winter?

Post by keithp2012 »

I have 1 year old seedlings of Gymnocalycium mihanovichi that are the size of my pinkie nail uncovered in a tray. It usually takes 2 weeks for the soil to become bone dry. Usually large, adult cacti I don't water from November to March, but these are so small I don't know what to do for winter care?
Snowcat

Re: Care for year old seedlings during winter?

Post by Snowcat »

To minimize the chance of it's death it's better to keep it warm and with additional light and water just 1 bit more rare then in summer, once in 3 weeks...
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Snowcat wrote:To minimize the chance of it's death it's better to keep it warm and with additional light and water just 1 bit more rare then in summer, once in 3 weeks...
I will do that then!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They might survive winter dormancy at that size - their native region, the Chaco Boreal in Paraguay, gets extremely dry in the winter. It's a tropical climate, though, so it's not really cold. If you can provide plenty of light and warmth, that would be safest - plus, you'll have big plants sooner if you keep them growing. How often to water depends on how warm you keep them, make sure they've dried out before you water.
Spence :mrgreen:
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

greenknight wrote:They might survive winter dormancy at that size - their native region, the Chaco Boreal in Paraguay, gets extremely dry in the winter. It's a tropical climate, though, so it's not really cold. If you can provide plenty of light and warmth, that would be safest - plus, you'll have big plants sooner if you keep them growing. How often to water depends on how warm you keep them, make sure they've dried out before you water.
They are under flourescent grow lights 8 hours a day and in the high 60s after, so fairly warm. If dormancy isn't necessary I'll just keep watering when soil is fully dry and fertilize once warm weather returns.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Here is what they look like, site won't let me upload any more photos.

http://allthingsplants.com/plants/photo/358444/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/photo/358445/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7george

Post by 7george »

keithp2012 wrote: They are under flourescent grow lights 8 hours a day and in the high 60s after, so fairly warm. If dormancy isn't necessary I'll just keep watering when soil is fully dry and fertilize once warm weather returns.
That is I do first winter to extend the growing period. Even at pea-size they can overwinter almost dry at cool place.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Good looking seedlings. Yeah, that should work fine.
Spence :mrgreen: