Some questions about dormancy

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
spikef35

Some questions about dormancy

Post by spikef35 »

Hello lady's and gentlemen I have an important question to ask! Last year I managed to make my cactus collection go dormant I have a question,can I keep my cacti in my greenhouse with no water until March/April growing time then begin to add water.basicly can through all of winter can my plants get strong direct light and be dormant second is this thelocactus starting to become dormant as it has begun to shrink?

Thanks spikef35
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
greenknight

Re: Some questions about dormancy

Post by greenknight »

Sore, cacti can take strong light when they're dormant - nobody shades them in the wild. do they?

That Thelocactus looks too shrunken, like it hasn't been watered in months. Something wrong with its roots, maybe.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Yes - to both questions.
But it can depend on the species you keep there and temperature inside that greenhouse.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
C And D

Post by C And D »

We can't answer your questions w/o knowing where you live

If you live in Tuscon, you have to water lightly all winter long

The Cactus nurseries in Vista California water all year long

It mostly depends on the night time temps
if it gets below 40 F at night for weeks at a time, then no water

It it's above, then some water

I have to water in the winter about once a month to keep my plants from getting too swiveled, since the temps go over 80 F in the day and it's usually only 50 ish during the night.

Water at the beginning of a forecasted warm spell.

Sometimes I will water a plant heavy that looks too swiveled , then bring it inside to keep it warm for a couple days while it dries out

Note to all new members
PLEASE Include where you live as part of your avatar
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
annP

Post by annP »

I live in a tropical country (Philippines). We don't have Winter and temperature is always warm. Do cacti need to go into dormancy in our weather? Do I need to stop watering my cacti?
spikef35

Post by spikef35 »

i live in coastal texas

i watered the thelocactus, no change in health since i did which leads me to think dormancy or root issues from what i saw the roots looked ok but i have sprayed that pot after mealy out brake wonder if this is mealys fault
spikef35

Post by spikef35 »

update: the cause is more than likely dormancy, roots were to deep but any way i sprayed for mealies because i found some on a near by melocactus i hope im right
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you find mealies on one plant, best to treat any others close to it. Mealies in the nymph stage are so tiny they're practically invisible, so those nearby plants could be infested and there's no way you'd know it by looking at them.
Spence :mrgreen: