Denmoza

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Denmoza

Post by DaveW »

I was surprised when a Denmoza I have been given flowered in it's 5 inch pot. I thought they had to be much larger, though evidently the start of flowering is erratic in this genus since one web site says:-

"First flowers appear, however, on plants of very unequal age and size, some time on relatively young plants but also on 30-40 years old specimens!
Denmoza.jpg
Denmoza.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 637 times
I don't think I could have waited 40 years for it to flower at my age! That's as wide as the flowers open being similar to Cleistocactus with the anthers and stigma lobes projecting out of the flower for pollination.
esp_imaging

Re: Denmoza

Post by esp_imaging »

Nice plant, I keep toying with the idea of growing this species, along the lines of Ferocacti - good looking plants anyway, any eventual flowers would be a bonus...
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have just been told by Roger Ferryman who grew it from seed it is Denmoza rhodacantha from Cuesta Miranda, RMF 691. He says "The plants at Cuesta Miranda are gone now but populations can be found around Famatina."
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Seeing yours in bloom gives me hope Dave, I have a D. rhodacantha about the same size as yours, and it's stayed relatively unchanged for about 3 years.
Neal