Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

This is my Diamond Jubilee year (75th) of growing cacti and succulents.

In 1939 -- just before the outbreak of WW2 (on Sunday, 3 September) in Burnley, Lancashire, Northern England, I purchased my first cactus (Echinopsis oxygona). I was ten years old. I staged it on the south facing windowsill of our house where it was soon joined by several "Woolworth sixpence plants" -- mostly opuntias, lobivias, rebutias, crassulas, etc.

They all survived the cold wet winter, and cool wet Lancashire summer, war years between blackout curtains on that windowsill.

Since then I have grown cacti and succulents in south Texas, central Japan, the high Mojave desert of southern California, central Florida and, for the past forty five years, Tucson Arizona.

It has been a most satisfying pursuit, and my enthusiasm for, and love of, these plants remains undiminished.

I developed a keen interest in cacti endemic to north eastern Brazil (in 1964) and more recently Madagascar Euphorbias and they remain the focus of my collection.

Because of old age related disabilities, I now mostly cultivate small growing species in containers on windowsills and patios at our retirement town home.

James
Last edited by jp29 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
forests-of-fire

Re: 1939

Post by forests-of-fire »

Congratulations! That's a very long time to be caring for plants. :) I'd say that I wish I see 75 years of caring for my plants, but seeing as I'm almost 40, I'm pretty sure that's impossible. ;)
jp29

Post by jp29 »

forests-of-fire wrote:Congratulations! That's a very long time to be caring for plants. :) I'd say that I wish I see 75 years of caring for my plants, but seeing as I'm almost 40, I'm pretty sure that's impossible. ;)
Thank you, "forests-of-fire". I married a girl from Columbus Ohio, and I believe it is because of her love and affection that I have lived so happily, so long.

James
James
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Terrific James! Keep on growing and enjoying your plants. I started growing plants when I was 6 in 1949 and still enjoy it as main hobby.
lopinweapon

Post by lopinweapon »

That just put a smile on my face. :D
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. JW
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Ron43 wrote:Terrific James! Keep on growing and enjoying your plants. I started growing plants when I was 6 in 1949 and still enjoy it as main hobby.
Thank you Ron.

James
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

lopinweapon wrote:That just put a smile on my face. :D
Excellent, "lopinweapon" -- I hope you always keep it there. =D>

James
James
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Wonderful post, James -- although it put a smile on my face for 2 reasons. First, your long-standing dedication to our favorite hobby. And second, you may remember that I've been keenly interested in WWII history since I was a kid. I'm really glad that you didn't have to go through the worst of what the Luftwaffe did in those years of peril, but I do nonetheless appreciate that part of your story.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Steve Johnson wrote:Wonderful post, James -- although it put a smile on my face for 2 reasons. First, your long-standing dedication to our favorite hobby. And second, you may remember that I've been keenly interested in WWII history since I was a kid. I'm really glad that you didn't have to go through the worst of what the Luftwaffe did in those years of peril, but I do nonetheless appreciate that part of your story.
Thank you very much Steve. Please keep smiling and posting your excellent articles. :!:

James
Last edited by jp29 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Glad you are still growing our plants James. I was born in 1941 and I gather I spent most of my part of the war in a clothes basket under the kitchen table, a recommended strong point for babies if a nearby blast caused the ceiling to cave in, not much use in a direct hit though! The other recommended place I believe was under the staircase!

I was about 17 before I started collecting cacti and as Woolworths no longer sold cacti the plants came from the local market and had gone up 5X by then to two shillings and sixpence (the old British 6 pence = 2.5 British New Pence = $0.04) and like you have been growing them ever since. The same sized plants here now range from £1-£2, 40-80X your original Woolworths price. Anyway I hope you continue collecting for many more years yet.
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Dear James,

I am pleased to read your lines.
I congratulate you on this very special anniversary!
Sometimes I think that the love for the plant gets us young.
But in your case I think it's the "girl" from Ohio.
After I got to know you personally, I would wish you another 75 years with your plants and Beverly!
This is pure selfishness, I would like you may still visit frequently in Tucson.
I've also got my first cactus at the age of 10 years.
That's only 46 years ago. I very much hope that I may yet remain for several years in the game.

James, my best wishes and greetings to Beverly!

your friend

K. W.

PS A small flower greeting, from the south of Brazil - north eastern Brazil was not available. . . :)
Bild 108618.jpg
Bild 108618.jpg (73.31 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

DaveW wrote:Glad you are still growing our plants James. I was born in 1941 and I gather I spent most of my part of the war in a clothes basket under the kitchen table, a recommended strong point for babies if a nearby blast caused the ceiling to cave in, not much use in a direct hit though! The other recommended place I believe was under the staircase! ..........
Thanks, Dave -- I remember all that very well.
.......... I was about 17 before I started collecting cacti and as Woolworths no longer sold cacti the plants came from the local market and had gone up 5X by then to two shillings and sixpence (the old British 6 pence = 2.5 British New Pence = $0.04) and like you have been growing them ever since. The same sized plants here now range from £1-£2, 40-80X your original Woolworths price. Anyway I hope you continue collecting for many more years yet.
Thanks for all that great information, Dave.

Here, in the best DaveW tradition, is a nostalgic pictorial visit to the gardening department of a yesteryear Woolworth store:

http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/hg-bloominggood.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ah, the glory that was Woolworth's! Almost every city and town of any size in the UK during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s (and actually before in the 1910s and 1920s in the larger towns and cities) had a Woolworth store -- 3p & 6p -- 5 cent and 10 cent ("five and dime") in the USA. They were often the most important business in town (it was in Burnley) and you could buy almost any household goods there.

I couldn't spot a cactus and succulent plant counter in the photo -- it was on the second floor of our Burnley Woolworth's. The plants were grown in local nurseries on contract and ours were always of excellent quality -- healthy and robust.

James
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

K.W. wrote:Dear James,

I am pleased to read your lines.
I congratulate you on this very special anniversary!
Sometimes I think that the love for the plant gets us young.
But in your case I think it's the "girl" from Ohio.
After I got to know you personally, I would wish you another 75 years with your plants and Beverly! ..........
Thank you very much K.W. I agree with everything you say about Beverly. :)
.......... This is pure selfishness, I would like you may still visit frequently in Tucson ...........
I hope you do visit us again, K.W. We enjoyed your company so much during your visit earlier this year -- you were a big hit with all of the C&S nurserymen here (and Don Vitko) and I am frequently asked if you are going to visit again. Remember, you are "one of the family" at Dan Bach's. :roll: :D
.......... I've also got my first cactus at the age of 10 years.
That's only 46 years ago. I very much hope that I may yet remain for several years in the game ...........
I do hope so. K.W. your plants, and the pictures of them, are inspirational. =D>
.......... James, my best wishes and greetings to Beverly! ..........
She sends her best wishes and greetings (and a discrete kiss on the cheek) to you K.W. :oops:
.......... PS A small flower greeting, from the south of Brazil - north eastern Brazil was not available ..........
It is the thought that counts old friend. :!:

James
James
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Wow 75 years! I have only been really into cactus for the past year, and that amount of time just blows my mind. I hope that my passion for them can continue as long as yours has!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

george76904 wrote:Wow 75 years! I have only been really into cactus for the past year, and that amount of time just blows my mind. I hope that my passion for them can continue as long as yours has!
I hope so too, "george76904" :!:

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." (Groucho Marx)

James
James