Some nice Lobivia colors

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Some nice Lobivia colors

Post by fanaticactus »

One of my newest acquisitions in hopes of rebuilding my collection is this Chamaecereus/Lobivia, hybrid 'Rose Quartz'.
DSC04409.JPG
DSC04409.JPG (103.24 KiB) Viewed 691 times
DSC04408.JPG
DSC04408.JPG (101.88 KiB) Viewed 691 times
I already had a 'Rose Quartz' hybrid--this one.
DSC04410.JPG
DSC04410.JPG (101.03 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Here they are side-by-side. There are obvious differences between them: color, size of the stem, spination and number of ribs. I mainly wanted to show off these brilliant colors but am also curious to know if there are such wide differences between same-named hybrids.
DSC04411.JPG
DSC04411.JPG (109.64 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
cactidan

Re: Some nice Lobivia colors

Post by cactidan »

Beautiful flowers, I especially like the pinker one.

They are different because they are not the same, by rights a named hybrid should be propagated only vegetatively and from then on all subsequent plants with that name are clones of the original. I've seen many pictures of xchaemaelobivia hybrids with the rose quartz name and barely any look the same. Perhaps it's a name that is just bandied around by commercial growers. For a good example to see lots of named hybrids that are all produced vegetatively, take a look at cactuslands website: cactusland.co.uk

He produces a lot of echinopsis, xchaemaelobivia and rebutia hybrids there. The named hybrids are clones as they are produced from one original plant. Although having said that, they do have a couple of hybrid mixtures which are given a group name (echinopsis new dawn hybrids is one if I remember rightly). Although if you like these type of plants then be prepared to drool ;)
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

I really like the pink one as well!
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Those magenta flowers are stunning!!