What did I do right now?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

What did I do right now?

Post by iann »

This Mammillaria luethyi decided to throw four pups this year.
luethyi-0710.jpg
luethyi-0710.jpg (74.31 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
--ian
george76904

Re: What did I do right now?

Post by george76904 »

Cool! They are such cool plants. I have a luethyi I got as a graft that I'm looking to degraft so I'm hoping to graft a tubercle then then degraft that once it grows so that way if I loose that one. I still have my main grafted plant. Does this seam feasible?
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

killed the growing point ;)
Filip
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Doesn't look as if it's gone blind to me and Ian would know. M. luethyi pups quite readily on a graft anyway, the difficulty usually is obtaining it on it's own roots since it's usually propagated by grafting in Europe, as being cryptocarpic with the fruits hidden in the stem seed is hard to obtain. Also it seems to be hard to root the offsets down from grafted plants since they tend to dry up before rooting. Ian always seems to be able to grow it successfully on it's own roots.
7george

Post by 7george »

That is cool. Look for another wider pot maybe?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

george76904 wrote:Cool! They are such cool plants. I have a luethyi I got as a graft that I'm looking to degraft so I'm hoping to graft a tubercle then then degraft that once it grows so that way if I loose that one. I still have my main grafted plant. Does this seam feasible?
Yes, totally feasible, but I would imagine not easy. Personally, I'd prefer to graft an offset where there was an actual base to mate up.

Just my opinion as a reasonably experienced and successful grafter.

Steve
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Does it get infected easily? I have lost a dehertania from removing an offset to root it. Even though I treated the wound on the main plant, and used a sterile blade. Any ideas?
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

I have attempted to degraft this plant three times. Never successfully.

However, degrafted specimens regularly show up on eBay. They're pretty speedy, so beware!
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
iann

Post by iann »

BarryRice wrote:I have attempted to degraft this plant three times. Never successfully.

However, degrafted specimens regularly show up on eBay. They're pretty speedy, so beware!
Speedy? On eBay?

I know it can be de-grafted but it isn't something I've ever tried. Maybe if I had a grafted one, I'd try :) I suspect it is better to take pups off the graft rather than try to degraft the whole thing.
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

george76904 wrote:Does it get infected easily? I have lost a dehertania from removing an offset to root it. Even though I treated the wound on the main plant, and used a sterile blade. Any ideas?
Ooh, sorry that happened to you! Cacti with pups that are firmly attached to the parent stem need to be treated more carefully than ones with pups that can be detached with your fingers. While I've never been in your situation, logic indicates that you should take firmly-attached offsets only in winter when the plant is dormant. Surfaces exposed by cutting should always be treated with fungicidal powder while they're fresh (sulfur powder should be fine). Do this at least a month before the growing season begins, so the cuts have enough time to heal and callus over before the parent plant is ready to accept watering in spring. Keep the cut pup(s) dry until you start seeing new roots, then it (or they) should be able to take some watering as the roots begin growing in your mix of choice.

Ian has a lot more experience than I do, so he may have some better suggestions than I'm able to offer here.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Post by iann »

My mistake. There appear to be five new pups.
luethyi-0806.jpg
luethyi-0806.jpg (82.52 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
--ian
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

How are you growing this plan Ian (fert,watering,light) its a real beauty :love10: !!
iann

Post by iann »

Nothing unusual. Water when thirsty. Feed a little. Mostly full sun, some shade on (rare!) heatwave days.
--ian