Titanopsis hugo-schlechteri

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Breezy1979

Titanopsis hugo-schlechteri

Post by Breezy1979 »

So I am just now starting to really get into different succulents. I recently received my T. Hugo, it was kind of wrinkly when I got it almost 2 weeks ago. I planted it as it was bare rooted when I got it in the mail. It's been 2 weeks and it's still looking wrinkly like it's shriveling up. What should I do?
C And D

Re: Titanopsis hugo-schlechteri

Post by C And D »

Titanopsis hugo-schlechteri is a tough one to start out with. It is the most sensitive Titanopsis species, and is a winter grower, so it is mostly dormant now.

So wrinkly could mean 2 things, it is just going dormant, or its dying. If the newest leaves start to shrink and turn weird colors, then it's dead already.

I keep mine (the ones that are still alive) in very small pots with almost full sun. They get some water all year long, but the lean soil and small pots dry out quickly that they don't seem to mind much. I've killed many of them over the years.

Titanopsis calcarea and primosii are much easier.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
iann

Post by iann »

You maybe don't want to listen to me because I don't have any of these left ;) Don't water them when it's very hot. If it is always very hot where you live then you're in trouble. If it is very hot for an extended period in summer then you'll probably have to spray them during summer. Water properly when nights are cool, as in below 50F, and days sunny but not blistering. Summer here is cool, or short, or both, and they can just sit it out without water.

It can be scary when summer is coming and they start to shrink. They will look thirsty for a while, the leaves will get smaller, and then in time they'll settle down to a dormant state and be surprisingly happy in all sorts of heat with minimal water.
--ian
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Add me to the list of people that have found it to be a bit of a pain to grow. I sell them all the time, but usually loose a couple in every batch I get. I understand the attraction to them though, they have some of the most unique coloration of any succulent. Where do you live? It is a winter grower that likes cooler temps, so knowing where you are at will help us give more specific advice.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants