shrinking cacti,lets get to the bottom of this!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
spikef35

shrinking cacti,lets get to the bottom of this!

Post by spikef35 »

so lately ive been noticing cacti shrinkage mostly mammilarias and i want to get to the bottom of it! my greenhouse is very hot so i was wondering are my plants getting under watered? maybe and the loss of a 4th of the roots seems to show that,but when exposed to water new roots will form but the plant wont return to its normal size. its happen on 5 plants 4 of which are mammilarias ,2 of the 5 loss some of their roots an echinocerus and m.carmnea. but all plants involved but 1 had recently bloomed so i wonder. :-k the plants involved are desert cacti from the Americas and mexico so could they be going into after blooming dormancy? who knows

noah
iann

Re: shrinking cacti,lets get to the bottom of this!

Post by iann »

How do you know what percentage of roots these plants are losing?
--ian
7george

Re: shrinking cacti,lets get to the bottom of this!

Post by 7george »

spikef35 wrote:=== the plants involved are desert cacti from the Americas and mexico so could they be going into after blooming dormancy? who knows
noah
Well, they could go dormant this time after blooming but losing the roots is not normal. Even growing roots by moving body juices under ground is a common summer job. Did you check for pest and rot?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8