Mid-May

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Mid-May

Post by fanaticactus »

I missed getting any photos of my Echinopsis/Lobivia 'Rose Quartz' hybrid. It had only three flowers and they looked rather dismal. However, my Eriosyce taltalensis ssp paucicostata has been doing very well with a total of 11 buds and 5 open at once.
DSC04275.JPG
DSC04275.JPG (52.46 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
DSC04277.JPG
DSC04277.JPG (72.22 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
DSC04278.JPG
DSC04278.JPG (83.07 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
cortez753

Re: Mid-May

Post by cortez753 »

Nice!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Never realised they got so tall, very nice indeed.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

adetheproducer wrote:Never realised they got so tall, very nice indeed.
Its height is quite surprising to me, too, but then again this is the first one I ever grew, so I can't speak from experience. As long as it's healthy... 8)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

In habitat:-
paucicostata.jpg
paucicostata.jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
paucicostata2.jpg
paucicostata2.jpg (102.68 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks for the photos, Dave. As soon as mine stops blooming, I'll have to repot it and set it more upright. It probably could use a change of 'soil', too--although I use a 99% mineral mix.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I've got it's hairy pal in bud at the moment, E. paucicostata ssp. floccosa, but not quite as tall as yours yet. Usually the flowers are redder in E. paucicostata ssp. floccosa. Will try and post a picture when it flowers.

Meanwhile one of Roger Ferryman's pictures of E. paucicostata ssp. floccosa it in habitat.
floccosa2.jpg
floccosa2.jpg (99.09 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
Robb

Post by Robb »

Are Eriosyce paucicostata floccosa, E. taltalensis floccosa and E. echinus floccosa just synonyms? I am growing some E. taltalensis floccosa from seed and I have been wondering for some time what it really is called. This genus really confuses me :lol: .
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes. It is all a result of lumping by succeeding authors or simply assigning them as varieties to different species. They were originally described by Friedrich Ritter who lumped everything into Pyrrhocactus, therefore you may find them under that name too. Ritter originally named them P. paucicostatus for the greyish-blue bodied form (not seen so much these days) and P. paucicostatus v. viridis (for the green bodied form as with fanaticactus's plant above) but the variety is now usually just subsumed under Eriosyce paucicostata.

The hairy plant was named P. floccosus. You will be growing E. floccosa from seed therefore whatever species it is reduced to varietal or sub-specific status under.

This was the original greyish bodied form Ritter called P. paucicostatus, which seems far less common than the green bodied v. viridis he also introduced:-

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... cicostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of plants were lumped under E. taltalensis by Fred Kattermann, whereas Paul Hutchinson's original taltalensis was only the red flowered plants from Planta Esmeraldana if I remember correctly.
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, just buds here too, nowhere near matching your plant. I have both E. paucicostata and E. floccosa. My E. floccosa flowers are considerably smaller and pinker than E. paucicostata, but more strongly scented.
--ian
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Just to balance out all the other problems I've been having this year, mainly with rot, there are a few cacti that have given me some nice blooms. Today it was two of the buds on an E. pentalophus and one flower on an Echinopsis/Lobivia hybrid 'Rose Quartz', which seems to be a weak bloomer this year with only one or two small-ish flowers open at a time.
DSC04327.JPG
DSC04327.JPG (70.38 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
DSC04328.JPG
DSC04328.JPG (36.25 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
DSC04329.JPG
DSC04329.JPG (78.78 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

In my area, I fight the heat and sunshine. My Echinopsis/Lobivia hybrid 'Rose Quartz ugly, sunburned, yellow, elongated and it just blooms. I'm afraid to try to help it. It may not flower. :lol:

b.jpg
b.jpg (141.15 KiB) Viewed 1411 times

8)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Wow, CHM! Mine used to have that many blooms; maybe it's used up all the nutrients in the soil and needs repotting. Will yours recover some of its vigor after it blooms? Maybe during all these years, I've somehow switched the ID of mine, because it looks quite different from yours: fatter, shorter stems and a different flower color. Are there variations within this hybrid?
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Today the two enormous buds on my Echinopsis melanopotamica (leucantha) finally opened. They have a faint, sweet smell.
DSC04331.JPG
DSC04331.JPG (76.03 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
DSC04332.JPG
DSC04332.JPG (44.52 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
A bonus was awaiting me: a flower on the Echinopsis cinnabarina (Lobivia acanthoplegma v roseiflora); I never saw the bud developing--it was hidden on the back. E. cinnabarina seems to cover several varieties. I have another E. cinnabarina which I purchased as L. draxleriana and has not bloomed this year.
DSC04330.JPG
DSC04330.JPG (86 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
I also noticed my Echinopsis hybrid 'First Light' is starting on its second round of blooming.
DSC04333.JPG
DSC04333.JPG (113.13 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

My E. paucicostata ssp. floccosa has just started flowering, with many more buds yet to open. I can't claim credit for it as I only obtained it last year from the collection of my friend who died.
floccosa.jpg
floccosa.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 1350 times