The rot scaredy cat

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
spikef35

The rot scaredy cat

Post by spikef35 »

That would be me I come to my greenhouse this week to find that the plastic started forming condensed giant water drops which watered my plants and it's raining all week erer looks like I need to till the soil to keep the rot away I put a cloth on top to stop rain based condensation from starting but still raining all week with wet pot ](*,) s grrr
DaveW

Re: The rot scaredy cat

Post by DaveW »

Just lining the greenhouse roof with polythene sheet might help. From the link below:-

"With glass, condensation dripping is usually not a big problem because of the surface tension properties of glass. Water tends to spread out into a thin film on glass. However, the surface tension properties of plastics are such that condensed water very quickly forms large drops that can rain down on crops in the greenhouse. This problem is especially serious in houses covered in polyethylene.

Covering the greenhouse with two layers of polyethylene and creating an air space between the layers by inflation insulates the inside layer and reduces the temperature difference between the outside and inside. Internal air circulation and heating the greenhouse with a fan running in the evening also helps. New polyethylene products have been developed with a special coating on the inside to reduce the surface tension and thus reduce dripping. Be sure to install this kind of polyethylene with the coated side toward the inside of the greenhouse.

http://www.gpnmag.com/grower-101-drip-d ... ndensation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may be able to just use an anti static spray on the inside of the plastic instead so the water runs down as with glass rather than forms droplets and so does not drip on the plants:-

http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/cle ... ic-cleaner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iann

Post by iann »

Is it really condensation? Seems more likely to just be leaking in the conditions you describe. Even if it is condensation, it should be fairly easy to limit the problem at this time of year just with a little ventilation.
--ian
spikef35

Post by spikef35 »

That's exactly how I think the water got in I think sence I closed the door to keep rain from blowing in condensation is starting by opening maybe problem solved also so if I were to add a second piece of plastic about a 5 or so centimeters apart could I stop that condensation