Zygocactus Renaissance

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Zygocactus Renaissance

Post by fanaticactus »

Even though it's quite common, I've never before had a second flowering on my Zygocacti. I'm trying to slowly build back my collection of them, and this larger one is the only one that just had a second flowering. Only three of the six cactus 'plugs' I bought from eBay survived the winter (I accept the blame for the soil--not enough water retention by the humus-y component plus too much gravel). But two of them already are looking good. The lavender bud opened and the red one is just about to.
DSC04076.JPG
DSC04076.JPG (55.26 KiB) Viewed 641 times
DSC04078.JPG
DSC04078.JPG (38.63 KiB) Viewed 641 times
DSC04084.JPG
DSC04084.JPG (29.97 KiB) Viewed 641 times
DSC04077.JPG
DSC04077.JPG (34.68 KiB) Viewed 641 times
This red one appears to have more of an upright growth form as opposed to the drooping 'umbrella' form I'm used to.
DSC04079.JPG
DSC04079.JPG (50.75 KiB) Viewed 641 times
And as long as I'm posting, my Epis are beginning to put out new growth like this one, which looks like the most eager one to get going for the Spring.
DSC04080.JPG
DSC04080.JPG (24.36 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
DaveW

Re: Zygocactus Renaissance

Post by DaveW »

I have never been a fan of cactus hybrids I am afraid always finding the true species more interesting, but each to his own. The true species often seem to have died out in cultivation after their original introduction and use to provide more hardy hybrids, therefore are much harder to obtain. Finding a Schlumbergera (Zygocactus) truncata propagated from authentic habitat material is like finding "hens teeth" as most under name "Zygocactus truncatus" in cultivation are now complex hybrids.

I have just managed to get hold of habitat material of Schlumbergera (Zygocactus) russeliana, the other parent of the well known "Christmas Cactus = Schlumbergera (Zygocactus) X 'Buckleyi'. I am now after S. orssichiana and S. kautskyi. I already have Schlumbergera opuntioides and S. microspherica. It's a pity more people don't grow species epiphytic cacti since the passing off of random hybrids as the true species seems to be loosing them to general cultivation. Try also and find an authentic Disocactus ackermannii. The plant in cultivation usually called "Epiphyllum ackermanii" is in fact a hybrid not the true species and is also sometimes named "X Heliochia vandesii 'Ackermannii'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disocactus_%C3%97_hybridus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the best links on species epiphytic cacti is this (you need to scroll down a bit before it starts):-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55652457/The- ... ytic-Cacti" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have just started using Orchid Compost (basically Coco Peat) as part of my compost for epiphytic cacti, with Pearlite and a little soil added.

Cortez previous link to this video shows how they actually grow in habitat. Often our greenhouses are too hot for them in summer and they do better in the partial shade outside, even in the UK:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jYUxg ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fanaticactus

Re: Zygocactus Renaissance

Post by fanaticactus »

Dave, thanks for your post and especially the links. It'll take me a while to get through them as thoroughly as I'd like. It's been so many months that I've not had to concentrate on cacti, I misspoke about the "Zygocacti". Thanks for the gentle reminder..."Schlumbergera". That's how they're listed in my inventory, but Zygo just automatically came out. Yes, I agree that the current hybrids have been very difficult for me to grow. Perhaps that's why I've had so many die on me; they either rot or dry to a crisp no matter what kind of soil I use with various nutrients, drainage material, etc. Does anyone actually specialize in selling the original strain that were always rather foolproof to grow? I'd love to get some starter segments.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!