Shady Saguaro

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
tumamoc

Shady Saguaro

Post by tumamoc »

This Carnegiea gigantea was found growing up into the ceiling of a rock overhang. There is a little sliver of sunlight that moves throughout the top of the alcove during the day, but that is all the crest of the plant will ever get. I doubt I'll ever get back to this spot again, but I would really like to know how the cactus adapts to this situation, if it can.

cortez753

Re: Shady Saguaro

Post by cortez753 »

Etiolation.
7george

Post by 7george »

You should tell it to produce an arm out of the cave and up. But this cactus is too young for branching... :-k
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Interesting one, but branching should not be impossible if it's what it takes for this plant to keep growing, my guess.
Bruno
iann

Post by iann »

It is going to have to make some serious life choices soon ...
--ian
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

tumamoc wrote:I doubt I'll ever get back to this spot again
Do you have the GPS data for this location?

I think it will etiolate all the way up, maybe finally reaching the top. I don't know how high that is, but I would not be surprised if it would wiggle itself through a small room in between the rocks.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Aiko wrote:Do you have the GPS data for this location?

I think it will etiolate all the way up, maybe finally reaching the top. I don't know how high that is, but I would not be surprised if it would wiggle itself through a small room in between the rocks.
I do have the location, but I was far from home and this is in the middle of nowhere! I predict the saguaro will smash into the rocky ceiling, damage its crown, then send a new growth along and out the sunny side of the overhang.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Lol it will flatten itself and then it will think twice about putting is next growth in the same position lol
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Is it okay if I share this photo with the kids in my nonprofit community program? It would be fun to see what the kids (especially the younger one's) think about this cactus :D