Spring is almost here!!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
sundanz

Spring is almost here!!

Post by sundanz »

In Texas at least!! Daytime temps 70, nighttime high 30's to 40's! My cacti in the GH are doing well with no water, even the outside ones in my tub survived the winter! I had them covered with frost cloth and a tarp. No one died!!:-) they are not covered today of course and my GH is open today for fresh air!
Some are already blooming!!
I'm ready for spring!!!:-)

Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
KittieKAT

Re: Spring is almost here!!

Post by KittieKAT »

Lucky duck! In MA where i am we have atleast 4 months left of winter and then it goes to the rainy months where it rains about 2/3 months then and then summer raises it head for a while. Sometime we don't get much of a summer and sometimes we get absolutely crazy summer's. So it all depends on how long the rainy period last . Last year we had a crazy hot summer this winter we've had the coldest temps for the year. Soo im crossing my fingers ot ends early and the warmth kicks in!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

KittieKAT wrote:Lucky duck! In MA where i am we have atleast 4 months left of winter and then it goes to the rainy months where it rains about 2/3 months then and then summer raises it head for a while.
Sounds like you should move down south!

I am much further up north, but on a different continent with a moderate Norhtsea climate. The winters here are not that bad, wet, windy, sometimes freezing but most of the time not. The summers are rather okay, enough sunshine for my plants and not too warm. I don't feel the urge to move away... Spring is coming a bit closer, but it still is winter, with temperatures a bit above freezing during the day. But as winter days are short and dull, nothing is really blooming up here but the odd mesemb that continues to bloom from late autumn.

Just two more months and I can start sowing!
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

We've had a mild winter where I am and its made it tricky right now, as many of my plants are trying to to push out buds and grow even though its still cold. Given that the climate here is damp most of the time I can't really risk even a sip of water for them. Hopefully spring will come quickly and be warm.
majcka

Post by majcka »

We have a tricky weather here. Till now we had one shipment of snow (just enough to make problems), few days of really cold weather (-14C - strange it used to be so for a whole month when I was little and we didn't called it Siberian cold then). That is about it. But last year we didn't seem to have summer AT ALL. So who knows what comes next.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook