Growing in Minnesota... Brrrrrrr.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Astronaut

Growing in Minnesota... Brrrrrrr.

Post by Astronaut »

So I got these two cacti as a gift a while back when they were small. One is a Cereus tetragonus, fairy castle, I believe. The other, I'm not so sure about. Possibly a Echinopsis crassicaulis or Echinopsis klingleriana. Don't know. But anyways, you can see the icicles in the background. Outside growing is not an option, and we don't have a lot of daylight (although there seems to be plenty in the picture!) Its stuck in the only south-facing window, which is the basement. I want to appreciate them more. How do you propose growing them without nasty grow lights in a living room or bedroom? Also, I need a nice way to plant these, they look kinda weird in a pot like this one, so bonus points for you.

Oh yeah, here's that other round cactus so if you guys have an ID, thanks. My guesses up there ^^ are probably all wrong.

Saxicola

Re: Growing in Minnesota... Brrrrrrr.

Post by Saxicola »

The pictures didn't come through.

Anyway, this time of year I'd leave them in the window assuming it doesn't freeze where they are. Don't water them until March or April. Once frost danger is past I'd put them outside for the summer. A few months outdoors in good sun will do wonders for them. As far as pots and such go, we'll need to see the pictures to give better advice there.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I agree with saxicola I'd also add that be careful of burns from the sun even Thoe you don't think the sun is that bright its actually very powerful in winter cause it's Trying too warm the cold up a bit (thoe nor doing a good job in MA at the moment -1°) and when putting them outside in the summer id suggest you work them up.to Stronger and stronger light over a period of a week or so so they can properly adjust to the light without scorching from the sun. Try to post the picture's again so we can help u out. Goodluck
7george

Post by 7george »

The link URL should be modified this way, both pictures look the same.

I would separate those into 2 pots. Even closer to the window if fine, will not freeze.
My conditions are similar, I put plants out in (end of) May till September. Use some shading first - outside sun is stronger.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8