Tenacity

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
tumamoc

Tenacity

Post by tumamoc »

This Ferocactus cylindraceus seedling in the southeastern California desert made the most of a narrow crack in a limestone boulder.

Steve Johnson

Re: Tenacity

Post by Steve Johnson »

Wow, great shots! :)

There's an event I drive to in Vegas every November, and whenever I come back to L.A. I always look for a short stretch along the I15 where I can see California fire barrels (guess that's the species you're showing us?) in among chollas and Joshua trees. Wish I knew where it is on the map, although definitely southeast California. Not exactly cactus country between L.A. and Vegas, but that little spot on the road is magic to me.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Post by iann »

Hope it doesn't get too cocky and break the boulder right in half ...
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Look like it might lol
cjbaker

Post by cjbaker »

Nice! I wonder how the seed got up there, maybe in a bird dropping?
Craig [my pictures]
peterb

Post by peterb »

beautiful photo, always love seeing cacti in plain rock.

Peter
Zone 9
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Steve Johnson wrote:Wow, great shots! :)

There's an event I drive to in Vegas every November, and whenever I come back to L.A. I always look for a short stretch along the I15 where I can see California fire barrels (guess that's the species you're showing us?) in among chollas and Joshua trees. Wish I knew where it is on the map, although definitely southeast California. Not exactly cactus country between L.A. and Vegas, but that little spot on the road is magic to me.
This fire barrel occurs near the Colorado River, south of Parker Dam--an area that seems to be along the Mojave-Sonoran desert transition zone. No Joshua trees, and very rarely a saguaro.
cjbaker wrote:Nice! I wonder how the seed got up there, maybe in a bird dropping?
..or rodent poop :P .
7george

Post by 7george »

I had a similar found at the west end of Anza Borrego Park. E. engelmannii & F. cylindraceus were growing in cracks of the same granite boulder. Who knows, might be spacey enough deep in the cracks...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8