A Wish has been Granted

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Re: A Wish has been Granted

Post by DaveW »

If you have a lot of seed of a species I would sow some now and some another time, even next year. Also you can sow two lots in different pots this year, even in different soils to see which germinates and grows best.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea kinda testing some cacti mixes right now, cause i really don't have much for material where i live that is easy to come by, i literally have All Purpose sand, c&s mix, perlite and a mix of turface/lava/pumice stone that i usually use for my lithops and other mesembs with perlite mixed in, or pearl stone and perlite worked really good in the summer...
I also have pea pebbles w/ sand aswell, so really nothing that great for a mix yet
Usually i have to order stuff online cause you can't find anything course or medium grained sand stuff around where i live.

Any idea on a mix that would work with what i got on hand or any suggestions on what i should look around for?
And i have a few of each seed type of loph that i listed so i don't wanna do to many trial runs lol
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I found this link whilst looking for something on the Fleischer method. You will need to scroll right down it as there are several different posts scattered through the blog. He seems to be setting on pumice etc.

http://testudinaria.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For larger or normal sized cactus seed (i.e. not Blossfeldia's or Strombocactus size) I like to sow on a layer of grit on top of my seed raising soil and then wash the seeds into it with a mist sprayer. It keeps the algae formation down, plus mildewed seedlings do not spread easily to the others and can be removed. The term potting compost in the UK = potting soil in the USA, meaning a mixture suitable for growing in pots and not simply garden (yard) soil.
SEED.jpg
SEED.jpg (30.66 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Last edited by DaveW on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Thanks hun
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Found a picture of some of my seeds set on a grit topping and then washed into the grit with a mist spray as described above:-
grit.jpg
grit.jpg (82.83 KiB) Viewed 970 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

They look good! I'm such a weirdo i always think they are gonna fall over if i don't have something to bury them a little bit
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

That is the point of the gravel, the seed washes into the gaps which holds them up when they germinate and helps the roots go down.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Maybe i just stink at plant sowing or the seeds wash to deep or something, never had luck sowing on course stuff :(