The arctic blast is coming!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
SnowFella

Re: The arctic blast is coming!

Post by SnowFella »

Funny how it works out, you guys are shivering away while here downunder we are slowly melting!
Hit 45C (113F) in my suburb today and just about all my outdoors plants are showing the effect from heat stress, no scorching but rather quite obvious yellowing. They are all hardened though and I've seen this several times in the past so I'm not overly concerned.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

My plants were hardened off and still suffered horrible burns (topic posted in : thank you...No!) When a guy ripped down my shade sheets :(
And that was just winter sun light not summer sun, most of my collection is dead or burned horribly. The sun gets scorching during winter months over here. Keep your Sun screen handy snowfella just incase.Goodluck!
Robb

Post by Robb »

SnowFella wrote:Funny how it works out, you guys are shivering away while here downunder we are slowly melting!
Hit 45C (113F) in my suburb today and just about all my outdoors plants are showing the effect from heat stress, no scorching but rather quite obvious yellowing. They are all hardened though and I've seen this several times in the past so I'm not overly concerned.
It has been hot here too, although we have had some WEIRD weather recently: pouring rain, hail and snow! It's my first year growing in a greenhouse and I have had too many plants develop scorching. :roll:
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I kno the feeling Robb :(
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Those who had that bad winter at the start of the year in the US and deep snow recently will hardly agree with this:-

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... nce-agency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30304611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;