Ario fissuratus -- first-ever flower!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Ario fissuratus -- first-ever flower!

Post by Steve Johnson »

I've been waiting only about 40 years for this...

After giving up on attempts to grow the genus in the '70s, my fissuratus is finally giving me a first-ever Ariocarpus flower! You may have already seen this photo from October 11 elsewhere:

Although you can't tell, there's a brand-new bud hiding under the apical wool. After a couple of weeks playing hard-to-get, it started getting busy. Here's the fissuratus on the day after our big Halloween rain, then 4 days later:

The "after" was flowering day, although I wasn't able to view it. Would my fissuratus give me another?

YES! Home for lunch between jobs as the daytime high was topping out at 100:

I don't know Arios well enough to say that another flower may be in the offing later in the month. Success with the fissuratus pleases me to no end, so whether it does or not, this is a moment I'll savor for a long time!

Cheers! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
gemhunter178

Re: Ario fissuratus -- first-ever flower!

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice Ario flower! Especially for your first!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Waiting for forty years... That's quite a long time!
It should have been ready for flowering thirty years ago, I think. Or is this plant not the one you have sown in the seventies?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Aiko wrote:Waiting for forty years... That's quite a long time!
It should have been ready for flowering thirty years ago, I think. Or is this plant not the one you have sown in the seventies?
I never grew cacti from seed in my first 21 years of collecting, and what I'll tell you about that time is the fact that the only talent I had with Arios was knowing how to get them as grown plants and rot them. After circumstances kept me away from the hobby for another 20, what you're seeing here is my first effort with an Ario since (as I said) I gave up on trying to keep them in the '70s. I got my current fissuratus from CoronaCactus in mid-July of last year. I think the plant was about 4-5 years old when it entered my collection, and Darryl said that it might be mature enough for flowering. To have the fissuratus actually growing (and flowering!) for me is a pretty major success given my poor track record when I was a tenderfoot grower.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
cortez753

Post by cortez753 »

Very nice! I'm trying some A. fissuratus for first time too, waiting for them to sprout.
pins&needles13

Post by pins&needles13 »

Beautiful flower Steve!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

cortez753 wrote:Very nice! I'm trying some A. fissuratus for first time too, waiting for them to sprout.
I started arios from seed this year too, they can be slow to germinate I had 2 come up well over a month after the others which took about 2 weeks from being sown. I do have a few older specimens but still no flowers. Hopefully next year. Just a quick question how late in the year can they take water. I have read infomation by david quale who says right through until november but temperature is currently not great in the days with highs of about 17°c nights down to about 5°c. Any suggestions?
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
willow

Post by willow »

Hello All. Steve your photos not coming out on my computer, just getting a red cross in a box! :( I bet the flowers are lovely though! I love the way they seem to surprise us with flowers I am not very experienced in the cactus world but was overjoyed when my Ario Bravoannus and Agavoides flowered ! I have 2 Trigonus and Confusus and also Furfuraceous but none of these have flowered yet. My confusus has purple tubercles and looks amazingly rough and ready!
Ade I stopped watering my plants end of 1st week in October, we had hot weather but cool nights 10C. I am definitely no expert:(
keith

Post by keith »

Nice plant flower color looks darker than my Ario which flowered a month ago. Like snow flakes no two alike.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

willow wrote:Steve your photos not coming out on my computer, just getting a red cross in a box!
An advisory I had to insert into my 2014 thread in Member Topics applies here...

I host all my photos on OneDrive, so I don't know if the glitch is coming from Windows Live's web servers, or the server(s) that host the forum's content. If you're running into this trouble, please try again later -- I guarantee you the pics are online. Sorry about that, and thanks for your patience!