Oh no! RAIN!!!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Oh no! RAIN!!!

Post by Steve Johnson »

Actually, you have no idea how facetious I'm being right now...

After a nice hot month, October ended with a whole bunch of cacti that told me they're not ready to go dormant yet. Since any chance for real summer downpours are pretty much a nonstarter in my part of L.A., I was hoping that rain in the forecast for Halloween night might be a great opportunity to give my charges something I wish I could do more often in the growing season. And it came to pass, about .5" -- nice! The only thing I had to do in preparation Thursday night was move some plants around so that anything that really didn't need the rain would be under protection in Shady Glen. This was the view yesterday morning:

Some of the cacti in Shady Glen did get a little rain anyway, but it was more sip than soak. The real soaking took place exactly where it was needed. Now, timing the rain was perfect given the fact that L.A.'s climate is favorable toward a growing season that can last well into November. Perhaps it'll happen this time, although more rain could spell trouble if November turns cool on me. Such being the case, the timing couldn't be better...

My biggest problem maintaining a small, yet diverse collection is that while some of my cacti are fine with winter rain, others will turn into puddles of goo if they aren't protected. Since I have to treat them all the same in this respect, getting ready for winter has meant rigging up a portable GH in early November. The theory is to keep it up until our rainy season is done in April. Great theory, but not very good in practice when your rain shelter is plastic sheeting from Home Depot. My first 2 efforts ended the same -- okay until constant UV exposure degrades the plastic in about 4-5 months. Then it goes to pieces, usually just in time for the last big storm of the rainy season, and it's not fun having to chase after all the cracks with tape. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of going through this yet again, so I'm not messing around anymore. Howzabout UV-resistant polycarbonate? Yep, there we are, and the material I selected is 6 mil polyfilm from Poly-Tex, guaranteed to last 4 years. (I know people who use the product, and its lifespan may go beyond 4 especially since my polyfilm setup will stay outside only through the November-April months. The rest of the time it'll be stored safely in my garage.) The Poly-Tex order arrived on Wednesday, and here's the result after a busy weekend -- I now give you portable GH 3.0. Here it is with the front off when there's no sign of rain, and the cacti are getting plenty of ventilation:

Whenever I see rain in the immediate forecast, the front goes up:

Aside from the rain shelter aspect, this has dual use application as a heat-trapper when the front stays up. That's what I'm doing now as I deployed the new portable GH this morning. The daytime high yesterday was only 68, and temps observed by my local NWS station show the same today. So let's do a bit of observation coming from my outdoor thermometer. When I put up the GH sans front at 11 a.m., it was 77. After I added the front, my high temp came out at -- 92! The cacti barely even noticed their day of coolness yesterday, so I'm sure they're enjoying the heat under there as they take up the rain they just received. The local forecast has us ramping up to the 80s starting Tuesday, and I'll take the front off Tuesday morning. Why not Monday night? Well, my overnight low briefly dipped down to 45 (although nothing to worry about), which was 8 degrees below the NWS's observed lowest temp. When I look at the overnight observation between there and the plant bench, I'll have to see if the GH's heat-trapping property during the day spills over into a bit of residual warming at night. A couple of nights should tell me if there'a a difference. If there is, it may not mean much now, but this could factor into how often I'll use the front not for the rain, but some extra heat to ease the collection through winter. Not that the winters have been difficult, mind you -- but if I make the most of the situation here, the practices I've developed since 2012 could pay dividends with a start of the new growing season in late February.

Finally, here's another view from this weekend. Working on my first-ever Ariocarpus flower:

Melocactus matanzanus showing the fruits of its labors -- literally!

Cheers, everyone! :)
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
C And D

Re: Oh no! RAIN!!!

Post by C And D »

The rain caught me totally unprepared. I checked the forecast, and it said MAYBE a sprinkle or light shower on Friday night.

Well we got a big shower like Steve said.
All my winter growing plants were out in the open, along with all the big Cacti that live out in the yard during the summer.
Everything was drenched big time. but no worries right? They can use some water this time of year.

EXCEPT!!!! It rained again on Saturday Night, and it was another huge drench.
Some worries did start to creep into me as I listened to it pour all night long, and was not about to get up and pull out the already drenched plants and put them under cover.

Yesterday morning I took stock, and things didn't look bad, only 1 split cono so far.
I put some flats in the sun to dry them out, and the rest will probably love the extra water, fingers crossed....
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
keith

Post by keith »

I kept most of my cactus dry. They will stay dry until about March then I let them get rained on. Plastic is off now because we always get strong Santa Ana winds after rain storms.

Then plastic back on for next rain , then off for winds and if I forget the plastic gets ripped off and the tacks get spread out all over the yard for me to step on. Someday I may get a greenhouse until then no more cactus I have enough !!

I need to grow stuff that can take the rain.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Congrats on your first Ariocarpus flower! Mine are still a few years away from flowering yet.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

C And D wrote:It rained again on Saturday Night, and it was another huge drench.
I must've seen just the edge of that storm system late Saturday afternoon. Plenty of clouds that looked threatening, although they were too far away to see the possibility for more rain here that night. Aside from the split Cono, hopefully your plants that got it enjoyed their double soak.

Even with the front of my portable GH up, the overnight low dipped down to 45 again (7 degrees lower than reported by my local NWS station). Okay, so the warming effect of the GH goes away after sundown. It's only logical I suppose, but at least I gave this a test. The heat did come up rapidly yesterday morning, so I took the front off before I went to work. The difference between the observed temps at USC and here is remarkably consistent right now -- 7 degrees colder at night, 7 degrees warmer during the day. My outdoor thermometer showed a daytime high of 82 yesterday, and the cacti are still happy regardless of these overnights in the mid-40s. Then the plant bench will be showing highs in the low 90s through Saturday, with overnight lows inching back up to 49-50. Looking at the situation, I'll have to say that the rain I got Friday night really was the last deep watering of the year for my collection. Since overnights in the 40s will be par for the course through February (and on the lower end in winter!), any winter watering will be A. sips, not soaks and B. done purely on my terms since the GH means that I won't be at the mercy of whatever the rains do. I've gotten a good handle on which cacti do well with occasional sips and which ones should stay dry over the winter. Craig really helped me out with some guidance on winter watering care, and while I still have to apply some thought as I feel my way along, the start of the 2015 growing season could be pretty awesome. As we wait, I'll look forward to showing y'all the flowers of late fall and winter whenever they come in. And to think that I used to consider winter as a boring time for cactus activities when I was younger!

Cheers again, my friends! :)

P.S. Robb, is your avatar a Mammillaria deherdtiana perhaps?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

In Central CA 1.5 inches and the ground almost got wet. :lol: That storm almost matched last years total. :D
Robb

Post by Robb »

Steve Johnson wrote: is your avatar a Mammillaria deherdtiana perhaps?
Yes! it is! In my opinion it is one of the prettiest Mamms - perhaps rivaled my Mammillaria therease. :D
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Robb wrote:In my opinion it is one of the prettiest Mamms - perhaps rivaled my Mammillaria therease.
I'll second your motion. My deherdtiana has been flowering on the cusp of March and April -- certainly a highlight of early spring on the plant bench. That cactus and my blossfeldiana are such show-offs!
JustSayNotoCactus

Post by JustSayNotoCactus »

I had to leave a lot of my cacti out in the rain, and they loved it! Especially now that we are having a bone dry Santa Ana event, it was 92 or so at my house today. I was a little concerned about some of my hairy rot prone mamms, and the many other touchy Mexicans like Turbinicarpus, Geohintonia, Pelecyphora, and Ariocarpus, but now they look better than they have all year. Real rain water not only washes the soot and dust off of the plants skin, but, imo, is worth 5 waterings of tap water, acidified or fertilized. Mind you, I am going to have to find a place for them to shelter before Christmas, by then the rain will be useless.
Jade plants are for sissies.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JustSayNotoCactus wrote:Real rain water not only washes the soot and dust off of the plants skin, but, imo, is worth 5 waterings of tap water, acidified or fertilized.
I'm just finding out that you're really on to something -- for the first time ever (and this goes all the way back to the early '70s when I started growing cacti), I'm getting to see firsthand what a good rain can do for our cacti. I'll be out of town for a 4-day weekend, but when I come back, I'll post up a few pics of after-the-rain growth. And this is taking place in November! It's great to be a cactus grower in SoCal, huh? :D