Turb jauernigii & friends

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Turb jauernigii & friends

Post by Steve Johnson »

After seeing my Turbinicarpus jauernigii bloom for the first time on 12/22, it's a little ahead of schedule for the plant's normal November flowering behavior. So here we are with the jauernigii's first flower of the year from last week:

Since the plant is obviously well-established, I have a feeling that we'll see more flowers over the next month or so.

And now a few items of interest covering this weekend before Halloween. Mammillaria hernandezii, a touch behind schedule for its first buds of the year:

Even the hernandezii's #1 pup is getting into the act! Flowers soon to come. Next up, my Melocactus matanzanus is looking really happy. Its flowering came to an end a few weeks ago, but I think most people find the fruits more interesting anyway -- the crop has only begun:

And finally, Copiapoa tenuissima with bloom #3 -- the biggest flower I've seen out of it to date:

Oops, I put the flower before the bud here! From this morning as it gets ready for day 2:

Aside from the flower, I'd like to mention that the tenuissima is exhibiting the same fall growing behavior I'm seeing with my other Copiapoas. And it's consistent with the genus -- opportunistic, but new growth primarily in spring and fall. While I'm tempted to show you what's happening with my hypogaeas right now (and it's really nice!), I still have a big End-of-Summer review to finish for posting on a new Member Topics thread. These pretty plants aren't the only cacti extending their season, so once I have the EoS review online, I'll give ya'll a little fall update over there.

Cheers, everyone! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
C And D

Re: Turb jauernigii & friends

Post by C And D »

Turb jauernigii flowering week.
IMG_5906a.jpg
IMG_5906a.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 3276 times
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Lookin' good, Craig!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Post by iann »

Nice display. More or less the same plants trying to flower here, but not getting far without any sun.
--ian