Where do garden centers buy grafted cacti from?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keithp2012

Where do garden centers buy grafted cacti from?

Post by keithp2012 »

I live in New York and Lowes sells grafted cacti, the round ones in neon colors. The company that ships them to lowes gets them from somewhere but they won't say where?

So where are these grown? Are they from Japan? I wanted to contact the company to get seed from the cacti.
Carl_B

Re: Where do garden centers buy grafted cacti from?

Post by Carl_B »

keithp2012 wrote:I live in New York and Lowes sells grafted cacti, the round ones in neon colors. The company that ships them to lowes gets them from somewhere but they won't say where?

So where are these grown? Are they from Japan? I wanted to contact the company to get seed from the cacti.
As far as I'm aware they are mass produced on a humongous scale in the far east (China, Japan etc.) also they are not seed grown, of course the original "freak" plants were of course from seed however it's just uneconomical to sow seed and then select the (very few) seedlings which don't contain chlorophyll.

They are shipped all over the world newly grafted onto unrooted Hylocereus undatus stock's like this
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/G ... 09149.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveW

Re: Where do garden centers buy grafted cacti from?

Post by DaveW »

They are produced all over the world by major cactus nurseries as Carl says. The mass producers people like Lowes buy then from often only supply wholesale by the hundreds.

A quote from the following link:-

"We have a local Korean importer who says he is part owner in one of these operations and brings them in bare-root, 100,000 plants per 20 foot container. Most of the largest growers in California are either buying from him out of stock or buying container loads directly."

viewtopic.php?t=7844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You cannot really grow them from seed as the seedlings were just a couple of freak seedlings that arose in a batch of 10,000 seeds that were set and needed to be seedling grafted at match head size before they died since they could not survive on their own roots.

See:-

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=34391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even if you bought two or three or the same plants yourself, flowered and cross pollinated them you may not get viable seeds since they are all one clone, meaning they are all just a single plant that has been propagated vegatatively.