Can cacti be reported going into dormancy?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
BassetsforBrown

Can cacti be reported going into dormancy?

Post by BassetsforBrown »

I have a cactus that is potted in loam. I live in New England so it's getting cold now and I'm about to bring it in. However, I was wondering if it's OK to repot it in a perlite and succulent type soil at this point, or if I should wait until spring when it starts it's growing season again. Thanks
BassetsforBrown

Re: Can cacti be reported going into dormancy?

Post by BassetsforBrown »

Loam is obviously not the best substrate for a cactus so if possible I'd rather replace it sooner than later
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

I think as long as the medium is very dry, repotting is fine during dormancy. I actually get the bulk of my new plants during the winter months and I haven't suffered many losses.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

BassetsforBrown wrote:Loam is obviously not the best substrate for a cactus so if possible I'd rather replace it sooner than later
Why not? I don't think bad of loam at all, really. Especially for the northern Mexican species; I have all my Ariocarpus and many Turbinicarpus in loam. And it is by far better to use if you mixe it up with grit than regular top soil.

Regarding repotting (or do you really really really mean reporting?) you can do that basically anytime of the year. Well, maybe less good just before dormancy. But in dormancy or when actively growing and still have some growing time on the clock, repotting is fine. In dormancy make sure the medium is dry, as BarryRice advises.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Really what matters for cactus potting soil is quick drainage. Soils behave differently in open ground where even in pretty fine textured soils water sinks rapidly below the level of roots. However in pots this does not occur unless the soil is fairly open and drains quickly, plus in less sunny climates does not remain damp too long. Loam has been used in potting soils for centuries but must be opened up with more porous materials like grit as Aiko says so the pot drains quickly.

The usual test for cacti is any water in the top of the pot should disappear into the soil in about 10 seconds and the pot dry our in a few days. What sort of soil mixture you need to achieve this will depend on your climate, in hot countries you can use more water retentive mixtures than we can in cooler less sunny climates. There is no universal right potting mixture, only the one that is correct for your conditions and you usually have to experiment with a few recommendations until you find it.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

DaveW wrote:Really what matters for cactus potting soil is quick drainage. Soils behave differently in open ground where even in pretty fine textured soils water sinks rapidly below the level of roots. However in pots this does not occur unless the soil is fairly open and drains quickly, plus in less sunny climates does not remain damp too long. Loam has been used in potting soils for centuries but must be opened up with more porous materials like grit as Aiko says so the pot drains quickly.

The usual test for cacti is any water in the top of the pot should disappear into the soil in about 10 seconds and the pot dry our in a few days. What sort of soil mixture you need to achieve this will depend on your climate, in hot countries you can use more water retentive mixtures than we can in cooler less sunny climates. There is no universal right potting mixture, only the one that is correct for your conditions and you usually have to experiment with a few recommendations until you find it.
I really like that, Dave. =D> I would like to quote you from time to time.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image