Mattslandscape.com

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
oldcat61

Re: Mattslandscape.com

Post by oldcat61 »

I did read your post. I assumed you were trying to order something & I was just noting that I was able to contact a live person. We've all been trying to help in our own ways. Sue
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

[quote="Saxicola

Welcome to the internet, where you can get all the information, answers, and opinions in the world except the one you are asking for! :lol:[/quote]
Correct. =D>
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There are still many cactophiles trying to import the virtually impossible or unprofitable Ron. Some plants do not have the legal paperwork but still get through, but it can be a risk. CITES is not always as rigorously applied as it is supposed to be. As one link I quoted says, often both the exporter and importer need a licence to do so, not just phytosanitory certificates. The British cactus nurserymen have given up trying to export outside the EU because it's just too much hassle for them.

I see Mattslandscape do ship to Canada, but it may only be permitted plants that do not appear on CITES. A lot of firms in other countries now do not bother to answer emails if you ask for something that needs a lot of time consuming paperwork for them. It is far less hassle to sell to people within their country that do not.
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

DaveW wrote:There are still many cactophiles trying to import the virtually impossible or unprofitable Ron. Some plants do not have the legal paperwork but still get through, but it can be a risk. CITES is not always as rigorously applied as it is supposed to be. As one link I quoted says, often both the exporter and importer need a licence to do so, not just phytosanitory certificates. The British cactus nurserymen have given up trying to export outside the EU because it's just too much hassle for them.

I see Mattslandscape do ship to Canada, but it may only be permitted plants that do not appear on CITES. A lot of firms in other countries now do not bother to answer emails if you ask for something that needs a lot of time consuming paperwork for them. It is far less hassle to sell to people within their country that do not.
What part of, "I know all that stuff", don't you understand??? After all this needless information. I will block your posts!
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

oldcat61 wrote:I did read your post. I assumed you were trying to order something & I was just noting that I was able to contact a live person. We've all been trying to help in our own ways. Sue
And I'm happy for you. :D
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Ron43 wrote:Does anyone know if Matt's Landscape is still in business? ..........
Yes
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"After all this needless information. I will block your posts!"

Please do! :lol: Don't worry I will not loose sleep over it nor be petty enough to reciprocate because I like to read everybodies opinions. I guess it's the English in me since we were always taught "I do not agree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it". I am sure that most Americans and Canadians believe in the same principle?

The point I was trying to make which Ron was choosing to ignore is it may be too much of a hassle for a supplier in another country to obtain the required paperwork for him unless he is making a massive order, particularly when they have enough far more lucrative customers in their own country who do not need such documentation, or they can sell on EBAY with less trouble. Firms are in business to make money the easiest way they can and some these days will often not bother replying to enquiries for more difficult orders they do not want. Sad but a fact of life!

Ron should already know this as in one of his earlier posts he says "The problem with eBay is that most vendors will not ship to Canada and if they do the phytosanitary certificate is way to expensive.". They are obviously indicating that shipping to him is either too much hassle with the paperwork required, or not a commercial proposition since they can use the time required much better and more profitably dealing with customers in their own country.