do you guys think this is rare?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
snarfie

do you guys think this is rare?

Post by snarfie »

pachycereus pringlei variegata. found it for sale as a partially randomly variegated seedling, bought it for just €5 :mrgreen:
and how can i propagate the variegated part? does anyone know if they can be propagated by areole grafting?
here it is:
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Brunãozinho

Re: do you guys think this is rare?

Post by Brunãozinho »

The picture is not showing here. It should not be such a common cactus, but I can't say for sure.
For propagation you can graft the top, the rooted bottom will develop new shoots that you can graft again. I have done this sometimes... But offsets might take a long while to appear and sometimes the new shoots are not variegated, at least in my experience.
Bruno
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

thank you. i'll try to post it in an other way later
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

here it should be ^-^
Attachments
pachycereus pringlei variegata.jpg
pachycereus pringlei variegata.jpg (51.45 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hi, on the first post I couldn't see the picture because of my internet, sorry.

This cactus looks great and specially at this size it should be easier to graft. ;)
Bruno
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Thank you for tthe reply, do you think an areole graft will work?
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

I have never had good results with areole grafts. You can also graft part of the side of the cactus, but you should find a way the make the connection between the vascular bundle of the stock and the vascular channels from the scion, those more unusual grafts require a bit more experience.

If you really want to mutilate and propagate this clone... well, here's what I would do: graft the top of this cactus onto another columnar, choose a good stock, healthy and with the necessary size. Wait for the variegated cactus to develop new pups and graft those too after a while.
Bruno
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

thank you, i'll leave it alone for the winter, and try to graft the top once i get at least one other graft to take, and if it is growing