C. laui -- first flower!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

C. laui -- first flower!

Post by Steve Johnson »

Well, the firsts just keep on going at the plant bench. Such being the case, I introduce you to my very first Copiapoa laui in bloom -- and for those who think Copiapoa flowers are boring, think again!

I got this lovely miniature species from CoronaCactus last summer. It wasn't mature enough to bloom yet, so maybe this year? Affirmative, although the process of taking us from bud to flower wasn't quite what I expected...

I noticed a wooly little something on the laui's apex at the front end of August. You'll see it on the left. A month later on the right, and the bud that's quite apparent is actually a second that took over as bud #1 just sat there and didn't do anything:

October 4 on the left as our early fall heat wave was underway -- bud #2 keeps going, and #1 did start getting a little bigger. Then Friday on the right, the morning before flowering day:

Here from yesterday -- now it's showtime!

That flower sure is letting it all hang out, isn't it? Not a 1-day event either, so this was the view from today. North-facing side on the left, east-facing side on the right demonstrating the laui's rather odd tilt to the north:

Not sure why the plant is doing that, but as long as it's happy and healthy, I find its behavior to be a feature of interest and nothing more. Now here's a feature that's both interesting and fun...

I love seeing flowers that are so big, you can't even see the plant under them. I got the angle just right for this shot:

My Copiapoas are exhibiting some fall growth, the laui included. Could that wake up bud #1? I suppose it depends on the heat over the rest of October, but my forecast does look promising. If I can show you my little gem with a big flowering attitude again, you'll see it here!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Ron43

Re: C. laui -- first flower!

Post by Ron43 »

Beautiful!
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Another amazing flower Steve! Does it have a fragrance?
Neal
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Kamos wrote:Does it have a fragrance?
As far as I can tell, no. But given a lifetime of dust and pollen allergies, my sniffer isn't exactly the best. That gem of a Copiapoa was a great selection, wasn't it? :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
pins&needles13

Post by pins&needles13 »

That flower is beautiful :D !

p.s.

Where is the plant :lol:
iann

Post by iann »

It's trying to bury itself ;)
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:It's trying to bury itself ;)
For that matter, I'll be curious to know if the laui may be getting ready to sprout a pup or two. Not now, of course, although if my general understanding of Copiapoa growth patterns is correct, I may see pups emerging as early as March. However, that'll depend on whether or not we'll get some early spring heat then. Very possible given L.A.'s temperate winters.