2nd time for a night-bloomer

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

2nd time for a night-bloomer

Post by Steve Johnson »

Yes, my friends -- tonight's the night for my second nocturnal submission featuring Pygmaeocereus bylesianus.

September 16 was the hottest day of the year on my plant bench (daytime high 108), and the late summer heat wave must've been what brought out a new bud I wasn't expecting. I was very pleased to see the bylesianus with its very first bloom a month prior, so this is bonus for me. Here's the latest bud on the 20th, and the tiny footprint left behind by flower #1 is right below:

Since we already know what the plant looks like, the following frames will concentrate on bud development and flowering. October 5 on the left, then 4 days later on the right:

Now it's blooming day today (and night) -- on the right, the flower is just starting to open at 6 p.m.:

At 6:30, then again at 7:

Same timeframe with the flower looking right at us:

And finally at night -- time for some flash photography:

Don't know the species very well (yet), but I think that's that for night blooming this year. As I look at my bonus flower one more time before I hit the hay, I know there will be more night magic in store next summer!

Cheers, everyone! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Robb

Re: 2nd time for a night-bloomer

Post by Robb »

Pygmaeocereus are opportunistic growers. They grow in the fog zone in Peru, so they make the most of what is available at the time. They grow evenly throughout the growing season but have a real spurt of growth when its hot and they get water. Pygmaeocereus tend to have a spread out flowering period with no real flowering frenzy. From the looks of the photo, head number two should be ready to bloom next year.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Steve Johnson

Re: 2nd time for a night-bloomer

Post by Steve Johnson »

Robb wrote:From the looks of the photo, head number two should be ready to bloom next year.
I'd love to see that, and it's something I'll have to look out for. By the way, I've been following your story about the cactus thefts. Unbelievable what people will do, and I'm glad that you'll have your GH under lock and key.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)