Too late to repot ?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CactusMad

Too late to repot ?

Post by CactusMad »

Hi,i have just watered all my cacti for the last time until March.I noticed that 2 of them have a small bit of root just starting to come out of the bottom hole of the plant pot.Shall i leave them now till next year?

Sylv.
Rod Smith

Re: Too late to repot ?

Post by Rod Smith »

If you've given your plants a lot of water I wouldn't repot at this time. Give it another few weeks and do it then. It's ok to repot at any time although not just after a watering and probably best when the plant is in growth next year. However, de-potting in a few weeks time will enable you to see whether the soil is still quite damp, as it's a bit late in the year for a full watering - unless your plants are still in full growth (unlikely). If you decide to repot during the colder months, make sure the new compost is pretty dry, otherwise you risk causing rot.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

When my plants are going into dormancy I usually leave them in their current pot until the growing season begins, unless there is a good reason to repot now (e.g. soil stays too wet). My feeling is that if the plant isn't going to be actively growing for several months it doesn't need to be in a new pot, and if you do repot there is always the risk of disease infiltrating the broken roots at a time when the plant isn't in the ideal condition to fight it.

If you really want to repot now go ahead. If done correctly the risk of problems when transplanting even now is fairly low. I just feel there is even less risk by waiting and really nothing to gain by doing it now. Also, if you are like most people in cold climates you have brought your plants inside, or otherwise condensed the growing area. Why start adding bigger pots to limited growing space for no reason?
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I would agree, unless there is a need to re-pot late on in the year and the plant is healthy it is best not to. However if there is a need such as a plant looking sickly and may be rotting at the base, or the possibility of significant root mealies, re-potting is probably the lesser of the two evils. But then pot up into dry soil and don't start watering until the growing season again.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Thank you for all the replies and help.The plants are very healthy so i am going to leave them alone till next year.

Sylv.