Discocactus horstii Adventure

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jp29

Discocactus horstii Adventure

Post by jp29 »

Dan Bach gave me these grafted plants -- nice gift!
They grow well that way, but I don't like grafted plants

So, off with their heads!!!

The de-grafts soon root up in my 80% pumice/20% pine bark mix as do seedlings
Now I am growing them (better) hydroponically (drain-to-waste) in straight pumice

Flower buds pop up in the afternoon

Flowers begin to open after dark

Flowers are fully open at midnight
Heavenly aroma!

Pollinating using a fine artist's brush produces fruit

Hybridization attempt: D. horstii x D. buenekeri
Objective: body coloration and spination of horstii but with buenekeri flower fragrance and offsetting
Didn't work!!!
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Minime8484

Re: Discocactus horstii Adventure

Post by Minime8484 »

Wow - fantastic plants!
Are Discocactus self-fertile?
Robb

Post by Robb »

Oooh! I love Discocactus!
I put aside my worries and bought a mature Discocactus zehntneri, can't wait for it to flower!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Minime8484 wrote:.......... Are Discocactus self-fertile?
I am not sure, Tristan. I use a fine artist's watercolor brush to hand pollinate every Disco flower I encounter. I get good crops of fruit doing that. I don't know what the yield would be otherwise.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Robb wrote:Oooh! I love Discocactus!
I put aside my worries and bought a mature Discocactus zehntneri, can't wait for it to flower!
Ah, I snared another one! I wish you good luck with your new Disco, Robb. :)
James
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Great presentation as always, James! (And I'm glad you're still somewhat active on the forum.) I'll be on the hunt for a Disco horstii, although not before March. Miles Anderson told me that he'll have them available as grafted plants in spring. However, since I'm no fan of grafting, I'll try my luck with degrafting unless I can find a source for horstii on its own roots. Any thoughts on where I might look? I pose this question not only for James, but anyone else who might have an idea or two.

Thanks!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Steve, I've got about 15 of these plants coming along as seedlings. My Rx is to get seeds started now, while you shop for a more spendy mature plant.

Barry
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

James, your plants are truly awesome. I hope enough of my plants survive to maturity to look even remotely as good as yours!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Steve Johnson wrote:.......... I'll be on the hunt for a Disco horstii, although not before March. Miles Anderson told me that he'll have them available as grafted plants in spring. However, since I'm no fan of grafting, I'll try my luck with degrafting unless I can find a source for horstii on its own roots. Any thoughts on where I might look? I pose this question not only for James, but anyone else who might have an idea or two.

Thanks!
Thanks, Steve. I saw some of Mile's grafted horstii when I visited with him last week -- they look nice. I will send you a bare rooted plant next Spring (or whenever). In the meantime, you should cozy-up to Barry Rice - it looks like you might be able to talk him out of a couple next year? :)
James
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

BarryRice wrote:Steve, I've got about 15 of these plants coming along as seedlings. My Rx is to get seeds started now, while you shop for a more spendy mature plant.

Barry
Thanks for the thought, but I don't have the setup to grow from seed. Partly space constraints (9 square feet of bench space, and my apartment doesn't have the right space for seed growing inside), partly lack of free time to tend to the operation properly. Spendy isn't a problem, although I'll consider eBay only if A. it's a "buy now" option (I won't stick myself in a bidding war again!), and B. the horstii is on its own roots. If getting a grafted one ends up being my only choice, then M2G it'll be. While the thought of degrafting horstii may dissuade the faint of heart, I'm well beyond that point. With that said, I'd still like to find out if there may be other sources for rooted horstii without resorting to eBay. The hunt continues...
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Steve Johnson wrote:
BarryRice wrote:Steve, I've got about 15 of these plants coming along as seedlings. My Rx is to get seeds started now, while you shop for a more spendy mature plant.

Barry
Thanks for the thought, but I don't have the setup to grow from seed. Partly space constraints (9 square feet of bench space, and my apartment doesn't have the right space for seed growing inside), partly lack of free time to tend to the operation properly. Spendy isn't a problem, although I'll consider eBay only if A. it's a "buy now" option (I won't stick myself in a bidding war again!), and B. the horstii is on its own roots. If getting a grafted one ends up being my only choice, then M2G it'll be. While the thought of degrafting horstii may dissuade the faint of heart, I'm well beyond that point. With that said, I'd still like to find out if there may be other sources for rooted horstii without resorting to eBay. The hunt continues...
My last post got crossed-up with both of yours.

Steve: it looks like your problem is solved.

Barry: I hope you do have great success with your seed raising efforts. I am too old and impatient to do that anymore. Thanks, Barry.

Part of my last seed raising effort of a few years ago (I have forgotten how many)
James
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Those look great James. That species is amazing, they are very rare here too and I have never seen one in person.
Bruno
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Brunãozinho wrote:Those look great James. That species is amazing, they are very rare here too and I have never seen one in person.
Thanks, Bruno. I do envy you for your location -- do you plan a Bahia field trip soon?
James
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Hey James

I sympathize fully. I'd much prefer a mature plant but have seen none for sale. If I ever see a grafted one I'll pick it up and degraft it, based upon your success. Until then, I have no choice but to settle on seed propagation!

Cheers

Barry
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

jp29 wrote:I will send you a bare rooted plant next Spring (or whenever).
Crossed wires aside -- thanks so much, my friend! I'll PM you when it looks like the growing season is about to start. The latter part of March is usually good, although our SoCal climate can be fickle enough to send out chilly weather into April. But hopefully not, and in any case we'll keep in touch on this.

I genuinely appreciate your thoughtfulness! :D