Flowering

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Calvin Gordon

Flowering

Post by Calvin Gordon »

Are there any signs that will show if my cactus is about to flower?
Rod Smith

Re: Flowering

Post by Rod Smith »

Yes, buds will appear. However, if you are in the northern hemisphere you are unlikely to get any buds before next spring, or possible late winter, depending on the cactus species. Some cacti produce buds regularly and can sit in bud for the whole of the winter if the bud was produced late in the growing season. Different cacti produce flowers from different parts of the body, eg Mammillarias bud from between the tubercles, often in a circle near the top of the plant; Rebutias and similar familiies bud from the base of the plant; Gymnocalyciums bud from the new growth at the centre of the plant; Echinocereus vary, but buds often burst out of the body anywhere.
Last edited by Rod Smith on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
DaveW

Re: Flowering

Post by DaveW »

Buds! Sorry I could not resist that. :D

Generally it is the first indications of buds or unusual additional wool in the areoles:-

viewtopic.php?p=142176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People often get confused by new growth on Opuntia's though which does look like buds starting but turns into normal pads. Obviously the plant needs to be flowering size for the species. Rebutia may flower at a year or so from seed and 3/4" in diameter, whereas a Carnegia may need to be 50 years old or more and 8ft tall. If you know what your plant is "Google" it and you will see what is the average size when it starts flowering, or post a picture of it here.