An early fall heat wave -- sweet!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

An early fall heat wave -- sweet!

Post by Steve Johnson »

I knew this might happen, and it did -- a heat wave in the first week of October. It sure brought out some nice flowers too! We'll skip the comparison with what the NWS/USC weather station had to say, and go straight for the observed temps coming from the outdoor thermometer on my plant bench.

Thursday -- 57/104. Here's what I saw after I came home from work...

After a week of watching a nice big bud on my Gymnocalycium stenopleurum get bigger, the impending heat wave finally popped it open. Even at 6 in the evening, that bloom looked really good.

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele -- where did these come from?

I could say the same about the Turb polaskii family:

Friday -- 57/104. Grocery shopping after work, and by the time I got home, there wasn't enough light left for any decent cactus photography. Since we had the weekend coming up, lets find out what happens next.

Saturday -- 57/106.

I was hoping to see all 3 flowers on the Turb pseudomacrochele in bloom at the same time, but #s 1 and 2 came and went too fast for me. At least there's still a decent flower to look at:

The "mama" polaskii and its eldest were more cooperative:

The middle child's bud is lagging behind, but I may see it next weekend.

Wow, here's a nice surprise! First flower in early August, and they keep on coming -- this Epithelantha gregii 'rufispina' isn't done yet. From buds to blooms in just a few hours!

My 3 Epithelanthas taking some afternoon shade:

And now for the crowning glory in this presentation -- the stenopleurum with its flower wide open:

I know that baldianum flowers are stunning because of their deep red color, but all things considered, I think this is the best Gymno flower I've seen in my 3-plus years of current cactus growing. And I'm so glad I was able to catch this on camera before the flower packed it in under the high heat today. Low/high temps -- 58/102. The heat wave should be ending tomorrow, then 80s during the day and upper 50s at night through next weekend.

These conditions are tailor-made for cacti that want to keep on with their summer growth. Given my recent experience, I had no cause for pause when I watered a bunch of them last night. For you skeptics out there, it proves a point I've made before -- watering in a heat wave is nothing to get paranoid about, as long as the overnights are below 70. While I will need to cut back on watering at some point, it'll be frequency, not amount. Depends on what the rest of October will look like, but I think it's a safe bet that I'll end up with an 8-month growing season this year. Or maybe 9 if I get some November heat. After that, dormancy and occasional sips for judicious winter watering care.

To my friends living outside the southwest US, wish you were here! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Kamos

Re: An early fall heat wave -- sweet!

Post by Kamos »

Great pics Steve! The plants may love the heat, but I'm ready for Fall weather! :lol: Oct. 5, and 96 F here today.
Hard to believe L.A. got hotter than Central Cal. :wink:
Neal
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Kamos wrote:Hard to believe L.A. got hotter than Central Cal. :wink:
No kidding! To be honest with you, I'm not a fan of really hot summers, and if it weren't for the wonderful cactus activity I see, I'd be byotching mightily after 2 century-mark heat waves in rather close succession. I'm ready for fall weather too.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I'm loving the heat
we had a good summer, and now 2 week long heat waves in a row!!!
The last 2 summers were fogged in, so we didn't have very many warm to hot days.

Lot's of growth happening, I've been doing a little extra watering on the Mexican cacti, since they just had 2 Hurricanes that hit Arizona 3 or 4 times with floods of 8 inches or rain. The desert will be green this fall! I would think it would be a good year for seedling growth.

All the winter growing stuff has sprouted, so they need a little extra water too, to keep them from drying out to much.

Steve, your stuff looks gret, keep up the good work.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

C And D wrote:Steve, your stuff looks gret, keep up the good work.
Thanks, Craig!

And now for today's weather report. The heat wave was supposed to be ending, yeah right -- 58/99. The days are forecast to cool down some by Wednesday, but then we're back up into the upper 80s over Columbus Day weekend. So that's it, a big ol' drink of water for pretty much everything Saturday night.

Another chance for lunch at home between jobs today, and the Mamm blossfeldiana is such an exhibitionist!

keith

Post by keith »

Still hot and dry in Ventura Co. CA. Glad I watered last week. Here are some Turbinicarpus jauernigii flowering I think I remember they like to flower at this time in the Fall.

The heat just helps them along.
Attachments
20141004_110939.jpeg
20141004_110939.jpeg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

keith wrote:Still hot and dry in Ventura Co. CA. Glad I watered last week. Here are some Turbinicarpus jauernigii flowering I think I remember they like to flower at this time in the Fall.

The heat just helps them along.
I was thinking more November/December for jauernigii (mine gave me its first bloom on 12/21), but maybe I should start looking out for buds. Thanks, Keith!
keith

Post by keith »

Steve you are right they are early this year. Going to try for some seeds. This picture shows my 50% shade cloth kinda blurs the picture though. I grew the little ones from seed collected form the bigger plants many years ago. 2008 maybe ?
Attachments
Picture1009141201_1.jpg
Picture1009141201_1.jpg (63.63 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Giannissimo

Post by Giannissimo »

Wonderful flowers (and plants), Steve. Thanks for sharing!
iann

Post by iann »

G. stenopleurum? Are you positive?
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:G. stenopleurum? Are you positive?
Well, that was the ID from CoronaCactus when I got it. Could be a different species, and I don't know Gymnos well enough to say if Darryl's ID is accurate or not. I'll defer to your expertise if you'd like to offer another name here.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Keith, I think my jauernigii got some ideas from yours, because it look like I have a new bud. I'll be posting up a little presentation on what I've seen today, so I'll be sure to include a pic.
keith

Post by keith »

Ariocarpus just finished blooming. Now its turned cooler no more watering for awhile
Attachments
IMG_2308.JPG
IMG_2308.JPG (81.41 KiB) Viewed 1485 times