How to grow cacti.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Yodas Girlfriend

How to grow cacti.

Post by Yodas Girlfriend »

Hey.
I would like to try to grow my own cacti, and in this connection I have some questions.

Like many other plants, I expect that some are easier for beginners than others.

1: Which cactus is good for beginners?

I've looked around on the net and see that you often can buy different numbers of seeds. You can often choose between a portion, 100, 1000 and 10000 seeds.

2: How many seeds should I buy if I just want to end with one or two successful plants?

3: Can anyone recommend a good place to buy cacti seeds online?

Thanks in advance and many greetings from Cecille
iann

Re: How to grow cacti.

Post by iann »

1. Most of the cacti you will find in box stores are relatively straightforward to keep alive, although that doesn't necessarily mean box stores are a good place to buy them. Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, some Mammillarias, a lot depends on where you plan on growing them. Ferocactus are big and quite tough as seedlings, they are often in mixed bags of cactus seed. Most species start tiny and grow slowly.
2. 10 :) Maybe 100 and plan on making several attempts before you stop killing them. Not hard really, but not at all like any seed you ever grew before.
3. Mesa Garden - that's a daunting list for a beginner though. In Europe you could try Succseed for excellent quality and a good selection.
--ian
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

When I planted a packet of mixed cactus seed, as a beginner years ago, I ended up with a Ferocactus and 2 Echinocereus surviving - so perhaps you should add Echinocereus to the list of those easy to grow from seed. They're not overly large, and produce very spectacular flowers, plus some have colorful spines.

Succseed sells most varieties in packets of 20 seeds, which seem like a reasonable quantity to me.
Spence :mrgreen:
Yodas Girlfriend

Post by Yodas Girlfriend »

Thank you for your advice, I´m looking forward to trie :)
Lara

Post by Lara »

A good start is good plants /no peat. Take the young plants. One of the first my plants was Obregonia :oops: Obregonia lives and give me flowers.