This old Turb

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

This old Turb

Post by Steve Johnson »

I'm revisiting a mystery concerning my Turbinicarpus klinkerianus, which I discussed in detail here and here. Now for an update, we'll pick up where I left off...

While corking on this old Turb should be expected, I wasn't sure if changes in the plant at the end of June were just a sign of corking or maybe something worse. Thankfully, de-potting it for a prudent emergency root inspection on 7/4 turned up zero problems below-ground. Here's the klinkerianus on the afternoon of its repot, followed by the state of affairs on 8/24:

The north-facing side doesn't look too bad, all things considered. The south-facing side took the brunt of it:

I thought the corking would be a more gradual process, so it's still something of a mystery as to why it went that far in short order. Was it simply because I disturbed the roots for my inspection? Maybe yes, maybe no, although I also wondered if repotting the klinkerianus in mid-growth might end any hope for the flowers I'd normally see over summer. Not summer, but I was so please to see this in the first weekend of fall:

Since the view includes 2 nice little pups that appeared last summer, here's a closeup of what they look like today:

Like their parent, the pups are slow growers, so it'll take a few years to see enough growth progress showing up in my "trademark" before-and-after photos. Even better would be if all the corking stimulates more pups, and I'll look forward to seeing what happens as this old Turb of mine soldiers on.

By the way -- the klinkerianus already had a lot of mileage on it when I found it at the California Cactus Center in 2011. In fact, I think it's the oldest cactus I have in the collection, and it originally came from Woody Minnich's famous Cactus Data Plants operation in the Antelope Valley before he pulled up stakes for New Mexico in 2007. Would anyone care to guess how old it is? I'm thinking at least 30 years, but perhaps Turb people with more experience could pin the age down a little better.

Cheers! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

This old Turb -- update already!

Post by Steve Johnson »

My work schedule sometimes gives me some flexibility on shift hours, so I took advantage of it this morning. Now all 3 flowers are open for business:

Nice!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
iann

Re: This old Turb

Post by iann »

Seems healthy enough now. Perhaps wasn't 100% happy at some point and they grow so slow that you get to see the old stuff for a long time.
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:Seems healthy enough now. Perhaps wasn't 100% happy at some point and they grow so slow that you get to see the old stuff for a long time.
Not sure if it was just my imagination, but yes -- those uncorked tubercles are looking the best I've ever seen. Of course, the drawback to getting an old plant is that you have to play the cards you're dealt. I think I'm playing them pretty well, and while it happened more quickly than I would've preferred, the corking doesn't bother me one bit.

I always appreciate your comments -- thanks, Ian! :)
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Here's another follow-up to Ian's comment, and this connection is something I hadn't thought about before...

The klinkerianus had been infested with mealies before I got it, and I suspect more than once. In fact, I think I may have caught an infestation in the early stage when I gave the plant its first Imidacloprid soil soak. I did this as a preventative measure for everything I brought in over the 2011 growing season, and the only mealies I've seen on the klinkerianus ever since were dead husks. (To this day I still find old mealy corpses, although cleaning off the remainder hasn't been a priority.) Now you won't find even a hint of new pest activity on the uncorked tubercles. I'll do everything I can to keep it that way! But there's a little more to the story here.

Since Woody Minnich had such a huge collection in his Antelope Valley years, I seriously wonder about how much care he was able to give to his plants. I met Woody only once when I visited CDP in the mid-80s, so I don't know him except by reputation. However, I've recently talked to a few people who know him really well, and -- his reputation both as a grower and as a person leave more than a little something to be desired. (I have no interest in ever dealing with the man in any way, so I frankly don't care if what I'm saying somehow gets back to him.)

While the klinkerianus has been through a hard life, I hope that I'm giving it a better one from here on out. Thanks for listening to my tale, and you'll see this tough old Turb again in the future.

Cheers! :)
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Wow, the updates just keep coming! Home for lunch between jobs today, so here's the klinkerianus at its flowering best:

We're coming up on a little fall heat wave, and I'm wondering if there could be another bud or two hiding in there to take advantage of the nice, hot early October weekend. (And I mean hot -- could hit the century mark on Saturday!)