Is this cactus going to snap itself?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
BassetsforBrown

Is this cactus going to snap itself?

Post by BassetsforBrown »

Hi,
So I had a large columnar cactus that was about 4ft tall, but the middle had a 3inch point that was very skinny - looked like an hour glass - so I cut it out and reported the top portion. Since May both cacti have been outside and thriving, the bottom one has grown 3 heads. However as you can see in the pictures, the bases of these heads are all quite thin.

Should I be concerned that as the cactus grows, these will remain weak and eventually be at risk of snapping like the original one was, or might they thicken up?

Thanks!
Attachments
20140927_174641.jpg
20140927_174641.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
20140927_174633.jpg
20140927_174633.jpg (49.62 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
20140927_174624.jpg
20140927_174624.jpg (57.18 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
BassetsforBrown

Re: Is this cactus going to snap itself?

Sorry, forgot to attach the photos. They should be there now.
JustSayNotoCactus

Post by JustSayNotoCactus »

Hi BforB,

I think you are right about both possible outcomes. They could eventually snap, or they could eventually thicken up too, its pretty much anyones guess at this point.

If it was my cactus, I would cut the arms off next spring and root them individually. I would then cut the stump down until it only sticks out of the ground a couple of inches. By now it has so much root mass, that it will probably push out anywhere from one to four new stems, you get to select how many you want at this point. The new trunk(s) of this tree will now be formed from the ground up and will be stronger in the long run, it will look more natural too. When you eventually re pot it, you can bury the stump under the new soil and re center the stem in the new pot.

But thats just what I imagined for it. You may not enjoy the thrill of plant surgery as much as I do.
Jade plants are for sissies.
fox2

Post by fox2 »

I think it will be fine. Very nice cereus Peruvians
BassetsforBrown

JustSayNotoCactus wrote:Hi BforB,

I think you are right about both possible outcomes. They could eventually snap, or they could eventually thicken up too, its pretty much anyones guess at this point.

If it was my cactus, I would cut the arms off next spring and root them individually. I would then cut the stump down until it only sticks out of the ground a couple of inches. By now it has so much root mass, that it will probably push out anywhere from one to four new stems, you get to select how many you want at this point. The new trunk(s) of this tree will now be formed from the ground up and will be stronger in the long run, it will look more natural too. When you eventually re pot it, you can bury the stump under the new soil and re center the stem in the new pot.

But thats just what I imagined for it. You may not enjoy the thrill of plant surgery as much as I do.
I don't mind cutting, and I'm actually glad it developed multiple heads. That said, I would prefer to keep it as is if that would be feasible. I don't want to just throw out the heads, but I don't have the room or desire to take care of 5 cacti. Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it!
BassetsforBrown

fox2 wrote:I think it will be fine. Very nice cereus Peruvians
Thanks, I'm very pleased with it as well. I bought it at 7 inches was 4 ft in what seemed like a blink of the eye. The two biggest heads are just over 8.5 inches now, and cut was made in May. I didn't even expect to see growth this season, but this thing is like a virile weed - in a good way.