Ants in the pants

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Ants in the pants

Post by Steve Johnson »

Or on a cactus in this case. This morning I was out on the plant bench taking a bunch of photos for my end-of-summer review (shameless self-promotion :lol: ), and I noticed that something on the Fraliea grahliana attracted the attention of, dig this -- ants! They managed to find a seed pod that still had something sweet and tasty inside. Here's an experience I haven't seen before:

As I observed the proceedings, I was amused to watch them absconding with seeds. Then when they were done with what they came for, the ants took off. (The uncles never showed. :roll: ) Hmmm, I wonder where they took those seeds to...
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Rod Smith

Re: Ants in the pants

Post by Rod Smith »

Steve Johnson wrote: Hmmm, I wonder where they took those seeds to...
A seed tray? :wink:
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
DaveW

Re: Ants in the pants

Post by DaveW »

Ants taking seeds was brought up at The Cactus Explorers Weekend. It was said ants usually only remove seed when there is a reward in it for them, mostly in the form of a fleshy funicle they can eat later (funicle = a filamentous stalk attaching a seed or ovule to the placenta). They don't usually take away dry seeds where the funicles have dried up before the fruit bursts and the seeds are now loose in the fruit.

The funicles are the white fleshy thread like stalks looking as though the seeds are packed in expanded polystyrene in the link below:-

http://www.doyadigit.com/2010/07/cerus- ... ith-seeds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;