Another EoS preview -- micromeris offsetting oddity, etc.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Another EoS preview -- micromeris offsetting oddity, etc.

Post by Steve Johnson »

I just looked at my calendar, and the official first day of fall is Monday, the 22nd. Although the summer growing should continue well into October, next weekend will be a good cutoff time to shoot a whole bunch of progress photos for the end-of-summer review. My game plan here involves breaking it up into 6 parts -- I'd like to make these presentations as entertaining as possible, so "Mr. OCD" will concentrate more on pics and less on his usual blathering. The festivities begin soon, but in the meantime, I have another preview for y'all...

Epithelanthas are such wonderfully odd cacti, aren't they? This has certainly been the case with the micromeris I've had for 2-plus years. Here's the latest pic from today I'd like to show you:

You may not even notice 2 tiny changes I picked up when I took this photo, so let's zoom in on a rather interesting feature:

Yes, my friends -- that's a brand-new pup! Since micromeris usually offsets from the base, I found it quite intriguing to ponder the reason why mine should produce an offset so far up on the plant. While I do have a theory, I'll keep it as one of several mysteries which can hopefully be explained in the review. IMO it should definitely rate an entry in "miscellaneous notables". There's another cactus with a strangely-placed pup I haven't posted yet, so be sure to look for part 6 as we check out the situation a little further.

I did mention another change going on in the pot, and if one nice surprise this morning wasn't enough...

Epithelantha growers will know that micromeris is quite generous with its seed production. Unfortunately I don't have the setup to grow from seed as many of you can, but I wanted to try sowing seeds in the micromeris' pot last year just in case I might get something out of it. Here's that little something:

Can't say that I'm completely unable to grow from seed, because that's why I'm looking at a beautiful little Eriosyce senilis which announced itself as a volunteer popping up in senilis Sr.'s pot 2 summers ago. However, because it's so late in summer for the micromeris seedling's arrival, I'm not sure if the teeny tiny thing will make it over the winter. I know this sounds like a "Darwinian" approach (and I suppose it is), but if the seedling does survive into spring, it'll be a strong little grower. If it takes after senilis Jr., the seedling will be ready for its own tiny pot in a year or so. Wouldn't that be nice!

I can't let you go without a flower, so here's one coming from my Mammillaria blossfeldiana today:

Note to my fellow Californians -- hot enough for you??!!?? Miserable for us humans, but the cacti are lovin' it!

Cheers, everyone! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)