Sulcorebutia rauschii -- pupalicious!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Steve Johnson

Sulcorebutia rauschii -- pupalicious!

Post by Steve Johnson »

After giving forth with a brood of 8 pups in the summer 2012 growing season, my Sulco rauschii is at it again. Pup #9 arrived 3 months ago, and here's the view from today thanks to L.A.'s late-summer heat:

I detected the newest pups just a few days ago, so here's a closup of my 3 newborns circled in red:

Yes, indeed -- pupalicious! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

A pupalicious update

Post by Steve Johnson »

If I want to get an accurate head count, I really need to look at the plant instead of relying on my photos. Okay, I actually have 14 pups on my rauschii. Uh oh, not quite, and I'll introduce you to the very latest arrival -- pup #15!

Here's a close-up:

So tiny and cute, and another beneficiary of L.A.'s latest heat wave ending tomorrow.

Since I'm good about observing things, it'd be a shame if I kept them to myself. Such being the case, I hope you'll find the following to be of interest...

I showed you the 3 new pups I circled in my first post, so here's a look at their progress. From today:

Pup #1 is the oldest of the new, and it's growing normally. However, pups 2 and 3 are looking a bit stretched out. Why is that? Well, at this time of year, shadows from nearby objects (for example, the rails of my balcony) cast midday shade over the better part of Sun Valley. The smaller pups have been just starting to grow, so that stretched-out look is what I'd expect. Nothing to worry over, though, and they'll have plenty of time to grow out of it next year. Now, if you don't mind some additional detail -- as the sun's trajectory keeps moving down toward its lowest point on December 21, Sun Valley won't be covered under all that shade. Won't do those new rauschii pups any good either, since they'll be dormant. While the shade will come back heading out of winter into spring, it'll go away again in the latter part of April. My rauschii doesn't start on serious growing until May, so the plant and all of its pups get to enjoy plenty of sun from then on.

The rauschii is doing a fantastic job with its brood, and I'm sure we'll see more pups coming in next year. I'd say that's worth additional updates!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
iann

Re: Sulcorebutia rauschii -- pupalicious!

Post by iann »

There are probably more lurking out of sight, underground even.
--ian
Steve Johnson

Re: Sulcorebutia rauschii -- pupalicious!

Post by Steve Johnson »

iann wrote:There are probably more lurking out of sight, underground even.
Hard to believe it's even the same plant -- from April 8, 2012: