Suitable to grow together?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
fanaticactus

Suitable to grow together?

Post by fanaticactus »

I planted a small dish garden with a Rebutia mentosa, an R. fiebrigii and a Gymno tillianum (oenanthemum). The different structures look good together but I need to be certain their needs and growing conditions are compatible (amount of light, water, winter temperatures) before they really get settled in to their new home. From what I know, they all seem to like the same guidelines. But does anyone foresee any problems with this particular trio I'm not aware of? Thanks.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
iann

Re: Suitable to grow together?

Post by iann »

I wouldn't have thought to put them together, but a small high altitude Gymnocalycium might do OK with Rebutias. Most Gymnocalyciums need a touch more shade than most Rebutias would like, but I don't grow this particular one so I don't know for sure.
--ian
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

iann wrote:I wouldn't have thought to put them together, but a small high altitude Gymnocalycium might do OK with Rebutias. Most Gymnocalyciums need a touch more shade than most Rebutias would like, but I don't grow this particular one so I don't know for sure.
Thank you, Ian. I should be able to check out those particulars in various sources. With fall and winter (ugh!) coming, I'm especially concerned about how much cold the Gymno can take; the about half the Rebutias fared OK in the barely-heated GH last brutal, frigid winter covered with layers of newspaper. I just this moment had a thought: I suppose I can e-mail Miles (2Go) and ask his advice, considering I purchased it from him this year.
iann

Post by iann »

I've had these Rebutias down to about -12C, about 10F. I wouldn't want to go much below that. I suspect that particular Gymnocalycium will do about the same, although it may not if it has been raised in warm conditions.
--ian
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Ian, I haven't had a chance to e-mail Miles yet and explain the situation, but your temperature info is encouraging. You may remember our last winter here was one of most brutally cold in recent years, and the lowest temp I recall inside the GH with the electric heater going was 19F. This year, some of the more temperature-sensitive ones I'll bring inside to the glassed-in porch with no extra heat (just whatever the sun blesses us with). The GH, because of a suggestion from both our contractor/builder and our propane heating person, will have a much stronger propane heater to avoid most of the problems of last winter. And, most of all, I hope winter won't be as severe.